cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Need to create Cylindrical Datum Point(s) X,Y Feature in Creo using export from MathCAD

scampbell
6-Contributor

Need to create Cylindrical Datum Point(s) X,Y Feature in Creo using export from MathCAD

First I only have MathCad Express Prime 3.1

Created a spreadheet that gives me the X,Y points for my spiral

Copied the X,Y outputs from Excel into MathCAD

How do I create a Datum Point Feature using this X,Y output from MathCAD?  When I click on import while in the Datum Point (cylindrical) feature it only allows things like pts file.

'll keep plugging away at it but if anyone has ideas that would be excellent

Steve Campbell

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I just read your first post where you state, that you use Prime express 3.1.

I am Prime-less at the moment (and I don't miss it) so maybe some good soul can convert the sheet for you so you are not forced to retype the whole thing.

As you are using express you are not allowed to use programming.

Therefore we unfortunately have to rewrite the function R(theta) more EXCEL-like:

I attach the changed file.

This and the rest should work OK in the express version, I guess (apart from some formatting problems which have to be corrected by hand).

You may also download and install the trial version of Mathcad 15 yourself so could open the file directly and you would be able to convert MC15(and below) sheet to Prime format yourself during the 30day trial period of MC15.

WE

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:scampbell)

Does your problem lie with Prime (doing mathematical operations etc) or with Creo (what many people frequenting this community do not know/use)?

I see in pcture2 that you have a table of X,Y points in Prime. Is there a mathematical operation needed to be performed on this data? If yes, what is it?

Then for the export from Prime to Creo, you may be better off asking in the Creo community.

Success!
Luc

scampbell
6-Contributor
(To:LucMeekes)

First question  is how to get this into MathCAD....

Here is the spreadsheet someone created to create X,Y points for a spiral.....

I can change cell B21 to set the increment.. and for this cam lock only interested in the X,Y data up to 90 degrees....

Would love to get this into a worksheet in MathCAD!

The second issue would be how to export the X,Y points directly into Creo.. Which  I can ask the Creo community directly...

I've peaked at your EXCEL sheet; and run into the reason I'd rather use Mathcad--it would be difficult to reverse engineer what this sheet is doing.  If you can give a simple explanation of what this sheet does I'm sure one of us lazy types can put it into Mathcad for you.

Which version of Mathcad would you prefer?  version 15, or Prime?

I've peaked at your EXCEL sheet; and run into the reason I'd rather use Mathcad--it would be difficult to reverse engineer what this sheet is doing.

Fully agreed. OMG, I nearly forgot how horrible Excel is for even simple engineering  calculations.

I'm sure one of us lazy types can put it into Mathcad for you.

The fact that I seem to be first - does this mean that I qualify for being the most lazy of us?

I guess the attached sheet does what you want. Hope you get the the info about the creo export in the appropriate corner of this forum.

I did not add sliders for the top eight input values, but feel free to add them, if you want.

and here is one way to create your x- and y-vectors. Don't know if you nedd them as single vectors or as a two column matrix. If the latter ist the case, you may use the augment command.

Good luck

Werner

I just read your first post where you state, that you use Prime express 3.1.

I am Prime-less at the moment (and I don't miss it) so maybe some good soul can convert the sheet for you so you are not forced to retype the whole thing.

As you are using express you are not allowed to use programming.

Therefore we unfortunately have to rewrite the function R(theta) more EXCEL-like:

I attach the changed file.

This and the rest should work OK in the express version, I guess (apart from some formatting problems which have to be corrected by hand).

You may also download and install the trial version of Mathcad 15 yourself so could open the file directly and you would be able to convert MC15(and below) sheet to Prime format yourself during the 30day trial period of MC15.

WE

Just had a remote desktop session with a machine still running Prime and converted the file to Prime (3.0) format.

Its a shame that so much manual reformatting work is necessary.

Her you are.

WE

Werner Exinger wrote:

The fact that I seem to be first - does this mean that I qualify for being the most lazy of us?

I'd say least lazy!

Impressive work!

Wow boys.. just wow.  That's impressive.

I'll work on trying to get this to feed directly into Creo..

Thanks for all your guys help!!!!

If you ever need Creo help let me know (except on how to import many datum points from Mathcad.. clearly I can't help you there )

Top Tags