cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

File export issue

JamesBurcham
4-Participant

File export issue

One of our supplies requires a "Parasolid" file that we export from Creo.  The issue we are having is that if we put a sketch feature or cosmetic sketch on the item we are exporting, those sketches do not export.  I am looking for a way for the export file to contain these sketches, we use them to indicate laser etching on our items.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7

Parasolid is only capable of handling solid bodies. It has no sketch entity knowledge.

If you need other entities in your export, try STEP or IGES.

That's what I figured, but I'm not to familiar with the parasolild format.  Unfortunately I cannot use another format.  Our vendor requires a parasolid for his laser.

What CAD program is your vendor using? Most laser work I have done, from both NX (well, UG2) and Wildfire, only require a 2D DXF file.

These files are for a tube laser, so 3D files are required.  I have talked to them about other files types, and that is being looked at, but I cannot change their requirements.  If they decide they will only accept parasolid files, there is nothing I can do about that.

Then the only alternative you have, if they refuse another file type, is to create the laser "paths" in solid geometry that will allow them to extract edges in .x_t

JamesBurcham
4-Participant
(To:DeanLong)

Yep that's what we have been doing, I was just looking for an easier/fast alternative.

James,

Since the file is going to be a "dumb' data set when it gets imported on their side why not convince them a STEP is better and simply include Datum Curves and/or Wireframe in the export?

If they will not accept that, you could send the one set as a Parasolid geometry without the curves and a second IGES or STEP with the curves. This allows them the ability to layer off or simply delete the curves if they desire.

My $.02

Top Tags