cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

New Dell Precision Laptops have slower cpu's!

davehaigh
11-Garnet

New Dell Precision Laptops have slower cpu's!

I found out today that the m4800 is discontinued. When I went to configure one of the new laptops I found that I can't get as fast of a CPU in the new models as I could in the m4800 & M6800's

fastest CPU for the m4800 & m6800 (discontinued)

i7-4940mx rank = 19  benchmark results = 2217   My m4800

CPU’s for the new 7510 & 7710
E3-1535M rank = 60  benchmark results = 2110   Fastest available
i7-6820HQ rank = 191  benchmark results = 1848
i5-6300HQ rank = 302  benchmark results = 1670

Benchmark results are from this page.

PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Single Thread Performance

Not happy about this. Anyone have an alternative suggestion with faster cpu's

4 REPLIES 4
TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:davehaigh)

Maybe it's time to consider other vendors...

Ultimate Mobile Workstation | GoBOXX MXL | BOXX

You can get a BOXX laptop with the Intel Core i7-4790K running at 4.0 GHz (with turbo up to 4.4 GHz.)  This is the fastest processor listed on the PassMark CPU Benchmarks - Single Thread Performance page.

For our fixed workstations we use Gruman Creations (laptops aren't available),  They offer the i7-6700K overclocked to 4.6 GHz. 

Tom,  Thanks for the kudos!

David,  A few years ago I would have argued that Dell sold the best "Power for the Dollar" and had very good service and support to back it up.  However,  I have been less and less impressed with their offerings in general, and especially with mobile workstations as time has gone by...

I'm always watching other companies, and have been more and more impressed with Sager Notebook.  Sager does laptops...  only laptops...  and has been specializing for years in high speed gaming laptops.   In the past you could occasionally customize a high end model with a Quadro, or FirePro graphics card and call it a workstation but the options were typically limited...  until now...

Recently Sager introduced its "Workstation" class models  (NP9755, NP9775)  Very impressive "Power for the Dollar"!  I have not gotten my hands on one yet, but I'm thinking about an upgrade for those days when I'm "on-the-road", and I think Sager might be where my money goes...

Side Note:  (This is not intended to bash BOXX in any way because from what I've seen they are a very good company and supply very nice hardware and support)

Last I knew...  Like GC,  BOXX does not produce their own Laptops either.  Instead,  they sub-contract Sager machines and put the BOXX logo and price tag on it.  Check out the two web sites closely. (model for model, spec for spec, and overall Chassis design)  You'll see what I mean.

Also,  At one time GC was in negotiations with Sager to sub-contract and Brand a GC Mobile Workstation.  (Like BOXX does) In the end I didn't believe it was cost effective and we would not be able to offer the "Power for Dollar" value that my customers expect from GC.   So,  I decided that we would stick to what we are good at...

Good Luck with your search.

Bernie

Bernie Gruman

Owner / Designer / Builder

www.GrumanCreations.com

One thing I found out, is the current offerings from Dell are not to top end of the 7000 Series. If you look at the spec sheet for those you will see this under processors.

7000 series CPU’s

Intel Core Xeon Ex-xxx Z3+ Quad Core Xeon x.xxGHz, x.xGHz Turbo, 16MB  (coming soon)

Intel Core Xeon Ex-xxx Z2+ Quad Core Xeon x.xxGHz, x.xGHz Turbo, 16MB  (coming soon)

Intel Core Xeon E3-1535M v5 Quad Core Xeon 2.90GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo, 8MB

Intel Core Xeon E3-1505M v5 Quad Core Xeon 2.80GHz, 3.70GHz Turbo, 8MB

Intel Core i7-6920HQ Quad Core 2.90GHz, 3.80GHz Turbo, 8MB

Intel Core i7-6820HQ Quad Core 2.70GHz, 3.60GHz Turbo, 8MB

Intel Core i5-6300HQ Quad Core 2.30GHz, 3.20GHz Turbo, 6MB

I couldn't find anything about these new processors on the web. It doesn't appear Intel has released anything about these yet. If someone knows anything about these processors I'd like to know.

I had a Sager laptop in the early 2000's. It had a desktop chip in it. Reasonably fast for the time. But a heavy beast. These off brands are not something our site is ever going to buy. So we are stuck with either Dell or HP.

breed
4-Participant
(To:davehaigh)

I think all the vendors are rushing to get Xeon processors in their workstation. I just got a Lenovo P70 mobile workstation in and will be doing some testing with it but, basically looks like the processor options are very similar to what you are seeing with Dell.

Top Tags