cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Beyond Simple Routing

roakes
1-Newbie

Beyond Simple Routing

I'm new to cabling and have looked at as many tutorials as I could find.  I'm able to create my harness and perform a simple route of a wire between two connectors.  Now I'm having issues routing the wire along a specific path.

In all of the tutorials I've watched, after performing a simple route of the wire, the presenter can right click on the wire and the context menu shows options for rerouting and Insert locations ( as well as other items).

I don't see those options when I right click on the wire.  If I try to add a network or location, I'm prompted to select a CSYS, Point, Location, Surface, etc. (basically select anything) but everything turns gray and I can't select anything.

Also, when I generate the Cabling Information report, it shows WARNING: Cable is incomplete.

I'm sure there is probably just a couple steps I'm missing to be able to add locations or a network but I have not been able to find anything on the internet anywhere and the built in help doesn't have any additional information.

Please help.

Using Creo Parametric 2.0

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:roakes)

‌Make sure you have the cable or wire selected before trying to access the right mouse button menu.

roakes
1-Newbie
(To:Kevin)

Yep, tried that.  Also tried right clicking on the object in the model tree.

Any idea why I can't add locations or route a network?

Thanks.

Kevin
10-Marble

‌Not having the wire selected has been the most common reason I've seen for not being able to add locations. As far as adding a network the only thing I can think of is an invalid network or a network that branches. With branches you can specify one path as primary and another as secondary. Without seeing what's actually happening I can only guess.

roakes
1-Newbie

What is the best way to show the issue.  I'm still trying things her and there but I can never add a location.  I have created a simple model to show the issue.

Kevin
10-Marble

You can try uploading the file or a screen shot to show what you are getting. From you description in your first post it does sound like you're in the add location dialog. Try selecting the default coordinate system in the harness part, this should add a location on the coordinate system, you should be able to select offset and select the coordinate system again to allow you to move the point relative to the default coordinate system. The only other thing I can think of is the references that can be selected have been limited using the reference control settings.

jroeber
4-Participant

default_ext_ref_scope all

dim_inactive_components never

without these set appropriately, things will grey out or not be able to pick them.

roakes
1-Newbie
(To:jroeber)

OK Jeff,

I think yours was the magic bullet.  Setting default_ext_ref_scope to all allowed me to select other geometry to add locations.

I also figured out why my right click menu wasn't giving me the same results as I saw in the tutorials.  I was going through the "Cabling using Creo Parametric 2.0" training on precisionlms.ptc.com (great training by the way) and noticed that the presenter was able to left click and select an individual wire however when I was performing the exercise, the entire harness was selected.  I finally figured out that if I change my selection filter from part to feature then I was able to select each wire individually and when I right click on the wire, I am able to see the reroute and insert locations options.

One interesting thing about this however, if I left click on a wire, I see that it highlights the Cable/Bundle Segment in the model tree.  If I select the wire by clicking on the Cable/Bundle in the model tree, I get a different context menu when I right click on the wire.  Not exactly sure why I get a different context menu when I select the same item just in a different way.

Anyway, thanks again Jeff for getting me over the hump.  Now I can be productive.

Top Tags