cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Variable is undefined error - given/find function

ps-7
1-Newbie

Variable is undefined error - given/find function

Hi Everyone,

I read the discussion about this error and tried to solve it with method from this link: This variable is undefined error when using Given/Find function, why?
It didn't help me. So I'd like to ask you for help. I really can't find the problem on my own.

I will be grateful for any advice.

Piotr

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
AlanStevens
17-Peridot
(To:ps-7)

Because it is linear in the R's you can do it as below:

linear.PNG

Alan

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

Piotr S wrote:

Hi Everyone,

I read the discussion about this error and tried to solve it with method from this link: This variable is undefined error when using Given/Find function, why?
It didn't help me. So I'd like to ask you for help. I really can't find the problem on my own.

Hi Piotr,

In this case, I think it's because there is no exact solution, so Find will return an error ... which, unhelpfully, is an undefined variable error.

Try Minerr instead, then look at the results to see if they're acceptable / make sense.

Stuart

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Thats strange. I get a solution with find (the same as Stuarts) when using symbolic evaluation.

BTW, the problem with the numeric eval has somehow to do with the units. Getting rid of the units enables the system to solve numerically, too.

AlanStevens
17-Peridot

Because it is linear in the R's you can do it as below:

linear.PNG

Alan

ps-7
1-Newbie

Thank you for your response. I think if there was no exact solution for these equations AlanSteven's method wouldn't have worked. Both methods provide proper solution. I need to read more about minerr function, because I haven't used it before.

However, it would be easier if Matchad could return information about the problem, not only undefined variable error.

Appreciate your help

Piotr

Top Tags