cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

How did you learn Creo and Surface Modeling?

ThomasPhore
3-Visitor

How did you learn Creo and Surface Modeling?

I need to learn and become proficient with Creo in the most direct and efficient way possible.  This includes both standard modeling and fairly advanced surfacing capabilities.  The reason I want to learn Creo is so I can take advantage of its stronger surfacing capabilities relative to Autodesk Inventor, which I already know.

I learned Autodesk Inventor by purchasing (for around $150) a set of about 50 hours worth of video tutorials online‌.  That experience was very positive, because the tutorials were very effective at teaching what each covered, and across them they basically covered everything there is to know from start to finish in an organized and continuous fashion.

However, for Creo it seems all I am really able to find are the PTC University Learning Exchange tutorials.  I could be missing something, but they do not appear to actually have any organization or continuity to them.  Rather, they're pretty scattershot -- it basically seems like a big depository for disparate tutorials written on random topics.

Can anyone tell me what they recommend on how to learn Creo thoroughly from start up through fairly advanced surface modeling capabilities?  I would really like to find some well organized and comprehensive way of doing this.  Learning this stuff takes a lot of time, so it's important to take the most efficient approach possible.  I may have to go with a different CAD software if the only thing available is Learning Exchange given its apparent randomness.

12 REPLIES 12

Hello Tom,

You can find several books on this link.

Kind regards.

Denis

https://www.sdcpublications.com/Textbooks/ProENGINEER/9/

Thanks for the reply.  Yes, I have seen those books, but they seem to really only cover the super basics.  In other words, they go through how to create each kind of feature and how to create a basic drawing, but pretty much nothing in surface modeling (certainly not the Style environment) or top-down design, etc.

They seem like good for an introduction, but not more.  I'd really like to find something that is more comprehensive in terms of not only of covering more, but also providing deeper understanding of things like good design approach/strategies and advanced surface modeling.

StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:ThomasPhore)

In my opinion you'll have the fastest startup using in person classes but these are relatively expensive and consume blocks of time. Depending on your physical location, there are a lot of options.  For surfacing specifically, I would suggest Design Engine, http://proetools.com/

I don't think you will find 50 hours of training will get you very far in Creo. In my opinion, Creo is notoriously difficult to learn.

rohit_rajan
13-Aquamarine
(To:StephenW)

Design engine does some fascinating stuff.

Very interesting stuff.But is way too expensive i think.

scooke
4-Participant

I have had success training three people up to becoming competent mould designers using Cadquest (www.cadquest.com).  The books are relatively inexpensive and are well written.  They cover most of the pitfalls about Creo being difficult to learn.  Our designers have worked through the books mostly on their own however they have had the advantage of immediate access to two competent people when they get stuck.

Having said that the surface modeling publication from Cadquest is one of their weakest in my opinion.

I took the in-person class and also had a someone that had used it for multiple years to question of the weeks afterward on any problems I ran into. While the class covered a lot, there is no substitute for having time afterward to just pound away at it and learn from experience.

I use the eLearning Platform. Is the same thing, you just get the basic and intermediate things. I have the same problem with Simulate, there exists only 1 course that teaches you how to simulate things, and of course, is not enough.

I believe that for advanced surfacing, is easy, because you can judge the quality of your surfaces (using reflections, shaded curves...). So, my recommendation to you is that do not wait for any course or learning program, and start surfacing now. Starting from a mouse, finalizing with a car, there are many objects over there that you can model using reverse engineering, and if you are facing problems, you can come here and you will probably get a solution.

At the end of the day, none book or course will really cover all the aspects regarding to what you really want.

Also, try download parts from sites like www.grabcad.com (mostly the cars) and see how they are constructed.

...very carefully and over 19 long years of constant experimentation into what the software can do, can't do....and the things PTC won't tell you or doesn't know about.  Try EVERYTHING.  Play around.  Use commands not usually used for certain things, see what shapes you get.  Experiment.

Tom

I see some one else mentioned Design Engine in Chicago, and I would say that they are an excellent class and resource. It's a full 8 hours a day of seeing and doing. They have a surfacing class that you can take that is part of the three week class. I took the three week class and it got me way past being just a beginner. They really teach you how to learn the software.

www.proetools.com

I had a great experience.

Aaron

Seek the training from Design Engine in Chicago.... they got a super motivated and enthusiastic and EFFECTIVE group of trainers....

Not just Pro/E-CREO...but other software as well....

1 week with Design Engine will get you off to a great start!!

Hi Tom,

I don't participate on this forum with regular frequency, and intend to participate more.  A past surfacing student recently pointed me to this thread as Design-engine is mentioned.  I am one of the instructors at Design-engine, and developed much of the content for the surfacing classes. We maintain more that two full weeks of Creo Surfacing training for our students.  I'll have you know that Design-engine also has an online training delivery system for learning surfaces in Creo, guiding engineers working overseas through self-directed learning. The training delivery system also supplements our in-person training classes. That Training Delivery System material is accurate for Creo 2.0  and will be updated for Creo 4.0 upon release.

Surfacing is probably the best skill for the non degree'd folks to differentiate themselves from peers at their job, earn higher pay, obtain a new job, start a consulting business or simply go contracting.  I'm not sure where you fit, or where you work, however, I'll assume your company will not pay for the class which is why you are looking to get training on your own.  Do consider Design-engine to further your opportunities.   With our four week classes or the 'season ticket' holders (two years of training for one cost) we make the Design-engine database available to participants to assist the search for that dream job/contracts.  Many past participants over the last 20 years do not mind getting a gentle email or a phone call from persons such as yourself interested in contract/ permanent employment. The practical, proven surfacing methods, robust modeling techniques, coupled with the comprehensive participant network, is how Design-engine differentiates from VAR or community college oriented training. 

We do love helping people.... thanks for the kind words on the thread.

Bart Brejcha

Design-engine.com

tgriffin
4-Participant

Rand 3D offers a variety of Creo courses, including a surfacing class.  CAD Training Solutions for Dassault Systèmes and PTC | Rand 3D

Top Tags