cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Mathcad 15 (M045 [MC15_M045_20151202) / MS Word 10 Problem

dborn
1-Newbie

Mathcad 15 (M045 [MC15_M045_20151202) / MS Word 10 Problem

Hi,

I have upgraded Mathcad 15 to the latest version of Mathcad 15 - (M045 [MC15_M045_20151202]) and discovered that a feature of the Windows 7 Professional operating system is preventing me from Inserting Word docs into Mathcad.  Also Word text blocks within a Mathcad 15 program cannot be edited or opened.  The "feature" that seems to be a cause is USER ACCOUNT CONTROLS (under control panel).  When I set it to NEVER I can edit and insert Word files and text blocks.  The IT department has deemed that USER ACCOUNT CONTROLS be turned on however so after a while - 1/2 day the feature turns itself back on and I am stuck again.  What can be done? The previous version of 15 did not have a problem with USER ACCOUNT CONTROLS being ON.  I like this newest version because it seems a more stable (less likely to crash) so don't want to go back.

David Born

3 REPLIES 3
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:dborn)

UAC is turned on (at level 3) by default, and nobody else has posted about this problem, so it's not a UAC problem. Turning off UAC may alleviate the symptoms, but it is not the root cause of the problem.

It doesn't even sound like a UAC problem. Inserting a text block does not make changes to the computer, so UAC should not prevent it.

dborn
1-Newbie

Thank Richard for your reply.  Other factors/problems that I want to mention may or may not have any bearing on this problem.  Here they are: This particular Mathcad file is large.  It is 13.4 Mb.  I did the program putting everything in one file.  I do not know if there is a recommended limit on file size or whether it should be broken up.

The other problem that I hope you can address is:  Copy and Paste takes a very long time to complete the copy portion, even when copying a simple Mathcad text block.  It varies but the hour glass can take as long as minute complete the copy portion.  I do not know if this is the correct way to copy as there are two ways to select a formula for instance.  Method 1 is to press control and left click and drag the mouse.  Method 2 is to click on the formula and select by highlighting the entire formula.  In either case pressing "control c" could take as long as 1 minute for the hour glass to stop.  I do know that a smaller program takes less time for this function to complete.  If I work with a smaller file size will the copy work more quickly?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

There is no particular upper limit for file size, but why is it so large? What is the file format?

Are you saying that in a smaller file you don't see the same problem with inserting text blocks?

The long copy is a known problem with large Mathcad files, especially ones with a lot of bitmap images pasted in.

Top Tags