cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Flatten / Lay Out...

jhammond
1-Newbie

Flatten / Lay Out...

Hey folks!

New to this forum... looks like this will be a valuable tool / reference.

I knew there had to be something has to supplement the PTC training material .

I use the Cable/Harness module in spurts... getting by, but still running into rookie problems.

As far as I know, I am the only Cable/Harness user at my company (at least in the US) so now one to bounce topics off of... hate to put a call into the help desk every time I run into issues.

Currently fighting a Flatten / Lay Out issue in the manufacturing module.

First step is to "Set Start Pnt"... this has worked on the previous 5 cables I have done... something up with the current cable.

When I pick one of the points (doesn't matter which one) I get a message "Could not create starting location."

This is a very simple two wire cable.

I am going to start a new Workspace and try a few things to see if I can shake it loose... anything else I should look at?

#CreoFan

#coolwhenitworks

#livingonanisland

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

My response was premature. The new file worked... for awhile, then went south too.

I played with this most of the day yesterday... found something interesting.

If I flip between the assembly/cable routing, MFG file, and drawing "too much," something goes south.

Could be a bug... file corruption? (anyone from PTC read this?)

This is my observation...

If there are changes made to a certain level that the layout point (in the MFG object) needs to be reestablished, the part can not be placed.

What I found to work best was to complete the cable routing set as much as possible before heading into the flat (MFG) object and subsequent drawing.

Cool tool (cable/harness module) but painful for casual/occasional user.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

I tried pulling into a new Workspace.

Also tried manually route (not use NWF import)... located connectors to result in straight cable being made (minimizing translation in manufacturing item)... same result/message.

Next up... starting cable from scratch.

Update... That worked. Some parameter flipped in the old model. Accuracy?

At least I have a work around.

jstone
4-Participant
(To:jhammond)

Jeff,

This has happened to me and I believe I can point it to deleting location points in the model when modifying the cable design.  If you delete the point where the flat was laid out from you're hosed.  Workaround is to re-flatten the harness and move the start point to a location you are not deleting, then work on the harness, and then go back and regenerate the flattened harness, delete any errors, and flatten again.  This works for me.

Thanks,

jef

My response was premature. The new file worked... for awhile, then went south too.

I played with this most of the day yesterday... found something interesting.

If I flip between the assembly/cable routing, MFG file, and drawing "too much," something goes south.

Could be a bug... file corruption? (anyone from PTC read this?)

This is my observation...

If there are changes made to a certain level that the layout point (in the MFG object) needs to be reestablished, the part can not be placed.

What I found to work best was to complete the cable routing set as much as possible before heading into the flat (MFG) object and subsequent drawing.

Cool tool (cable/harness module) but painful for casual/occasional user.

Top Tags