cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Wildfire 3 Mechanism problem

BertilRogmark
6-Contributor

Wildfire 3 Mechanism problem

I am trying to model an old sail ship and am currently trying to make the gun ports movable using Mechanism.

The first picture shows the gun port closed, the fake canon withdrawn and the blue activating lever in its start position.

montage_modul-1.jpg                                                                                                              

The second picture shows the activating lever, after having taken up some necessary slack, pushing the fake canon and the gun port outwards.

The slack is neccessary because other ports moved by the same lever has a larger angle between closed and open positions.

montage_modul-2.jpg

The third picture shows the fake canon in its final horizontal position.

montage_modul-3.jpg

The last picture shows the activating lever returned to its start position but the fake canon remains horizontally.

montage_modul-4.jpg

I would like it to follow the activating lever back to its start position and stay there while the lever continues to its start position (cam follower type allowing lift-off.)

Now, is this possible?

Is there som mechanism connection that would do this?

In reality I would use a rubber band or a spring to return the fake canon and the gun port to where it all started. 

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Hi Bertil,

I don't understand where are the problems to model your assembly inside mechanism.

You should tell us if you need a simple position analysis or a dynamic analysis with the research of the forces.

In each cases you can use pins-cylinders or sliders, but if you want a dynamic analysis you have to do attention to the redundancies of constraints that alter the results of the connection reactions.

Bye

Hello Giulio,

Thanks for your interest.

I believe I have found the problem.

It seems that to introduce "elastic" components you have to have the ProE Mechanica module - I only have Proe Mechanism Design.

But I have another question which you may be able to help me with.

The assembly shown in my pictures have a number of instances.

The angles of some parts vary from one instance to the next.

As a result, the mechanism movement analysis that works on the generic assembly will not work on the instances.

I wonder if it is possible to put the value of an pin connection's angle-limitations in the family table?

kind regards

Bertil

Bertil,

You can create the slack you need by using a slot joint for the links connecting the cannon base and the port window. This will allow movement of the actuating device and not move the cannon base until the end of the link reaches the end of the slot to pull the cannon base up toward the window. I hope this makes sense.

Regards,

Chris

Chris,

I am not quite sure if what I believe you suggest, will give me what I want.

I have managed to solve the mechanism by defining 3 different motors and the attached mpg file shows the result.

Ideally I would have liked to show the flexing spring that makes the canon bracket follow the drive lever part of the way when closing the gun port but as I wrote before, I don't believe I have the necessary software module.

kind regards

Bertil Video Link : 6806

Top Tags