cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Colour map for Contour plot ?

JBlackhole
16-Pearl

Colour map for Contour plot ?

To all,

I have created a contour plot and trying to control the scale and/or the colour scheme.

Under the advanced properties I can see the option 'choose colormap'

Q1: with the (default) rainbow map, is red the high value or low value (on the z axis)? look high it's the high value

Q2: I believe (from the doc) one can allocate a colour map ( SaveColormap and LoadColormap functions)

Can this be used to create one own scale so that

[0-0.1] = a colour

]0.1-0.2] = another colour

]0.9-1] = red

a 10 band colour map

Thanks

Regards

3 REPLIES 3

J B wrote:

To all,

I have created a contour plot and trying to control the scale and/or the colour scheme.

Under the advanced properties I can see the option 'choose colormap'

Q1: with the (default) rainbow map, is red the high value or low value (on the z axis)? look high it's the high value

Q2: I believe (from the doc) one can allocate a colour map ( SaveColormap and LoadColormap functions)

Can this be used to create one own scale so that

[0-0.1] = a colour

]0.1-0.2] = another colour

]0.9-1] = red

a 10 band colour map

Thanks

Regards

Does the attached help any?

You'll need to add the correct path for you Mathcad colormap folder.

Stuart

thanks a lot Stuart. Will take me a while to go through the provided example/data

I suspect somewhere there is an example on how to set up a "fixed" 10 value colour band

J B wrote:

thanks a lot Stuart. Will take me a while to go through the provided example/data

I suspect somewhere there is an example on how to set up a "fixed" 10 value colour band

I don't think it does that ... the colour mapping interpolates, IIRC, so if there is no block banding of the colours (they smear together).  However, here's a simple function that should help.

Just create a string of the RGB values of your chosen colours (I used a standard colour picker and chose some at random), convert it to a matrix (using my conversion routine str2mat), pass to the block colour mapping function below and then save as a colormap.  (You could also just type the coefficients straight into a 10x3 matrix rather than do the conversion, but I find the string method easier)

The new colour map is the 3rd from the right in the map below.

Staurt

Top Tags