cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

SQL Server 2012 can be shared between Windchill 10.2 and Integrity 10.9

vsarathbabu
1-Newbie

SQL Server 2012 can be shared between Windchill 10.2 and Integrity 10.9

I am planning to install Windchill 10.2 with SQL Server 2012 as backend database.  I have SQL server 2012 which already installed for Integrity 10.9  with ‘Latin1_General_CI_AI collation. So I created new named instance ‘WINDCHILL’ with collation ‘Latin1_General_100_CS_AS_SC’. During Windchill 10.2 installation, SQL server configuration does not accepts instance name ‘WINDCHILL’ it says following error

“Failed to validate SQL Server master database collation as 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS' for SQL Server 2008 R2 or 'Latin1_General_100_CS_AS_SC' for SQL Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014. Windchill requires SQL Server SQL Collation 'Directory order, case-sensitive, for use with 1252 Character Set'. Re-configure the SQL Server Instance with Collation 'SQL_Latin1_General_CP1_CS_AS' for SQL Server 2008 R2 or 'Latin1_General_100_CS_AS_SC' for SQL Server 2012 and SQL Server 2014.
*SQL Server DNS Registered Host Name:
Installed SQL Server Instance Name (Named Instance only): ”

So I gave <server name>\WINDCHILL for which I got below error.

Invalid SQL Server database Instance Name specified. Installed SQL Server Instance Name (Named Instance only):

Following questions raised

1. Does WINDCHILL 10.2 always requires fresh SQL server 2012?
  2. Does WINDCHILL 10.2 uses any specific name format for named instance?
  3. Both Integrity and WINDCHILL 10.2 can share the same SQL server 2012 without extra SQL licenses?
8 REPLIES 8
Cat
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:vsarathbabu)

1. Windchill PDMLink is a heavy business solution.   I recommend to have a exclusive local server for MS SQL Server 2012.

2. You don't need a specific name for named instance. I prefer to use a instance name "WIND".

Thanks for your reply.

As trial purpose I wish to install Windchill for test environment along with Integrity. And I get same error when I try to use instance name as 'WIND'. Please guide me.

Cat
5-Regular Member
5-Regular Member
(To:vsarathbabu)

Well, I am not sure why you got an error message. You can use a different instance name like "WINDCHILL" or something.

Please, check the following links. I think that it could help you install Windchill.

The PLM Workspace: How to Install Windchill 10.2 M030 with SQL Server 2014 on Windows Server 2012 R2: SQL Server 2014 In…

The PLM Workspace: How to Install Windchill 10.2 M030 with SQL Server 2014 on Windows Server 2012 R2: Windchill PDMLink …

Invisigoth
14-Alexandrite
(To:Cat)

Many thanks for posting those links.  They contain the detail that is missing to the casual SQL Server admin

1. Does WINDCHILL 10.2 always requires fresh SQL server 2012?

Windchill requires the database to be case sensitive and accent sensitive. So as far your database and instance are configured to be Latin1_General_100_CS_AS_SC, you can use any existing database. In your case Integrity in installed in a different collation, so you need to create a new instance for Windchill

2. Does WINDCHILL 10.2 uses any specific name format for named instance?

Windchill supports both named instance and default instance and there is no specific recommendation on naming convention.

3. Both Integrity and WINDCHILL 10.2 can share the same SQL server 2012 without extra SQL license

This depends on the type of license which you have. If you have a server license, it allows to run any number of SQL Server instances. If you are on user CAL or device CAL licensing model, you need to procure licenses for integrity

By the way SQL Server developer edition is free. I have not tried using it with Windchill, but it worth giving a try - https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/dataplatforminsider/2016/03/31/microsoft-sql-server-developer-edition-is-now-free/

Regards

Binesh Kumar

TomU
23-Emerald IV
(To:BineshKumar1)

By the way SQL Server developer edition is free. I have not tried using it with Windchill, but it worth giving a try -

I have used both the developer edition (almost free) and the express edition (totally free) of SQL Server 2012 for test installs of Windchill and never had any problems.

BineshKumar1
12-Amethyst
(To:TomU)

That is good to know, Tom. Thanks for the info. I wanted to setup a test system with developer edition ever since I read the technet blog.

vsbabu
6-Contributor
(To:BineshKumar1)

Do we have any link to understand more information shared SQL Server?

Top Tags