cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

right in subassembly wrong in parent, or right in parent and wrong in subassembly?

kblinn
1-Newbie

right in subassembly wrong in parent, or right in parent and wrong in subassembly?

Anyone seen constraints flip between parent and subassembly?

So there is an assembly, it has in it a part and a subassembly. The assembly defines a flexible constraint of the subassembly.

One day, the part was backwards in the assembly but not in the subassembly. Weird, but true. I could have them both in session, looking at two different versions of the assembly at the same time (in different windows). What was backwards had nothing to do with the flexible assembly constraint, at least not to my knowledge.

I accidentally came across this result: if I simply select the subassembly to redefine it, it fixes the part assembly constraints of another part in the assembly, presumably unrelated. But by doing so, it flips the constraints of that part in the parent assembly to be wrong, along with all of it's dependents.

I can make it go back and forth, choosing one place I want it to be right, but not both.

Any idea what the problem might be?

Thanks,

Keith

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:kblinn)

You -are- looking at two versions. To make a component flexible, Creo creates a (usually) hidden family table and that allows creating a copy of the original assembly with some changes made.

I don't think the behavior you describe has an 'on' switch so there is unlikely to be an 'off'' switch.

If you are on maintenance I'd suggest making a call, but they will want the models involved as over-the-phone won't fix it if it's a broken CAD database.

I've had weird things like this addressed by using a different version, so that might be an option.

Top Tags