cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Spiral assembly/pattern of chain

rm�ller
4-Participant

Spiral assembly/pattern of chain

Hello again community

I would like to make an assembly of coiled roller chain. When rollin, I found out it makes "archimedean spiral" shape.

I was able to create curve of desired shape and somehow place some points on it from YouTube tutorial, but its kinda hard to complete it.

To describe issue in detail:

I have this assembly of one piece of roller chain (pin constraint in middle)

Then I was able to do this

Double point constraint which should work then as a reference of pattern. But the pattern fails and does not fill the spiral. Second issue is that I want those empty holes attached into previous pin. Of course im open to another solutions.

The definition of issue is to simulate 2 meters of 6B 8187 DIN roller chain. P=9.525mm so number of pieces is 210.

Thank You for any advices or solutions.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 REPLY 1
psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:rm�ller)

Probably your chain links that have fixed distance between the pins do not fit the patterned along the curve points.

These points along the curve patterns produce nice looking figures, but the geometry is plain wrong, because the point pattern is based on along-the-curve distances - whereas in reality it should be based on a chordal length.

It shouldn't be difficult, just tedious to assemble the 210 links using slot constraints.  Use of mapkey and repeat function should speed up the task considerably.

If you could attach your model, I could get you started.  But I hope you look in to the other threads on this forum - the moveable cable-carrier assembly made by Antonius Dirriwachter comes to mind: Mechanism flexible wire tray issue, similar to a chain

Top Tags