cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Questions about migrating from Oracle 11g Enterprise to Standard

kwoodley
3-Visitor

Questions about migrating from Oracle 11g Enterprise to Standard

Hello everyone,

Recently I was tasked with being the admin for the Oracle database we run along side our windchill 10.1 solution. It was recently discussed that we may need to migrate the database from enterprise to standard. From what I have found so far we will need to export our data, install a new standard database, then import the data into the new database. It isn't certain if we are going to go this route but to help decide we need to know what the procedure would be to connect our windchill system to a new database. I haven't had any luck finding documentation regarding this. I am hoping someone in the community could help point me in the correct direction.

Thanks in advance!

Kristen Woodley

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There are set of properties in WT_HOME\db.properties which is read by the Windchill JVMs at the startup that determines which database to connect to. If you are just changing the host name - wt.pom.jdbc.host is the one you should change.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS58027

it is not recommended to make changes to this file directly - use xconfmanager.

Syntax - xconfmanager -s wt.pom.jdbc.host=newserver.domain.com -p

Regards

Binesh Kumar

Medtronic - MITG

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

There are set of properties in WT_HOME\db.properties which is read by the Windchill JVMs at the startup that determines which database to connect to. If you are just changing the host name - wt.pom.jdbc.host is the one you should change.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS58027

it is not recommended to make changes to this file directly - use xconfmanager.

Syntax - xconfmanager -s wt.pom.jdbc.host=newserver.domain.com -p

Regards

Binesh Kumar

Medtronic - MITG

Thank you for such a fast response!

If we intend on installing the new database system on the same host as our current one, is it correct to assume we wouldn't need to change that particular parameter?

If we can configure our new database to have the same values that the db.properties file is already configured with, like the same SID and the same database user, would we need to do anything extra to get windchill running with the new database?

Thanks,

Kristen Woodley

That's correct. I guess, you are not planning to remove the enterprise edition till you install and import the database. I would say don't remove until you ensure WC is up and running with new database - if in case, you have to import again.

Regards

Binesh Kumar

Medtronic - MITG

Top Tags