cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Building a new computer.

JasonPensack
1-Newbie

Building a new computer.

I'm building a new rig for running Pro/NC and I'm wondering if anyone has any insight. I'm thinking Quadro M4000 for a graphics card, 32gb of 2400 MHz ram, And of course a solid state drive. The big question is processor. Should I go with a high speed Core i7 or a Xeon that may have a little lower speed but a much larger cache? I know speed has always been what I've heard for Pro since it only runs on one core but I'm wondering what advantages a larger cache will give me, if any. Anyone have any suggestions?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
2 REPLIES 2

Jason,

Since no one is responding to you I just got in November a new Dell Precision workstation 5810 configured at about what you have listed with Xeon1650(6 core)3.5 Ghz processors 32 Gb ram and a Quadro K4200 video card and a 512 Gb solid state drive. Quite happy with the performance after about 6 moths of service.

Steve

Thanks for the reply Steve...

Your Xeon processor is the one I would select if I went Xeon. I think I am going to go with the i7-5930K (6-core 3.5 GHz 15MB L3 Cache) simply because most of the motherboards I am looking at only reference the i7 as a supported processor. The socket is the same so I'm sure that it would work but I don't want to take that chance. I'm going with similar specs to yours so thanks for confirming that it should work well for me.

Top Tags