cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Creo Simulate - stress and displacement dont fit together?

knispel
1-Newbie

Creo Simulate - stress and displacement dont fit together?

Hey there,

I just simulated the displacement in Creo and the results don't fit together. So here is the data:

Part geometry: 40mm x 10mm x 2mm

F=5N on every longitudinal side

E=5 kPa

displ.strain.jpg

How can I have a strain(Dehnung; in the middle) of around 20% and a displacement(Verschiebung;left site) of around 1 metre?

I hope someone can explain,

Best, Kathrin

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
346gnu
12-Amethyst
(To:knispel)

that looks like 'simulate lite'

your options are very very limited starting with maximum of 200 surfaces and absolutely no good for non-linear of any kind.

you would probably need the advanced license.

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

Are you sure that you don't have a strain of ~20 (2000%)?

As usual, check that your material Young's Modulus isn't off by a factor of 1000 - for some reason it seems too easy to end up with (say) 206 MPa instead of 206 GPa...

I'm positive that I have a strain of 0.2, so 20%. I doublechecked that with the dynamic analysis. 😕

346gnu
12-Amethyst

I agree, units seem a reasonable candidate.

20% strain = 0.2, you're getting 1000 times this

Check you E value. 5kPa might be right but to me it seems exceptionally small.

Plastics such as polycarbonates are in the order of 3GPa

knispel
1-Newbie
(To:346gnu)

I see your point but as said, Im positive that is right.

The small Young's Modulus is because I am simulating tissue, which is actually hyperelastic. Is it a possibility that the mistake comes from doing a linear simulation with a hyperelastic material? I somehow didnt find the properties for a hyperelatic simulation.

346gnu
12-Amethyst

My we look at the model?

Can you upload it?

knispel
1-Newbie
DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone

Hello Knispel,

Herewith a few documents that may be of interest to you.

Kind regards.

Denis.

Thank you Denis.

Now just to make sure: the problem is, as i guessed, that this type of simulation (linear) is not suitable at all for this kind of material (except I use strains of <5%)?

Best, Kathrin

346gnu
12-Amethyst

Kathrin,

Yes. Linear generally ok if strains <5% else must use log strain (large deformation)

If using hyper-elastic then default is log strain.

You have to be careful with loads. If you apply a load in X-direction for example, it will continue to act in the x-direction as deformation takes place. If you intend the load to rotate with the structure then you need a pressure load.

Regards

knispel
1-Newbie

alright. Thank you!

So how do I do the hyperelastic analysis? Whenever I start Creo Simulate it automatically opens the linear analysis. Just selecting a hyperelastic material gives me the error 'you are using a hyperelastic material in a linear analysis".

346gnu
12-Amethyst

Kathrin,

Simply creating the hyperelastic material is not sufficient.

The assumption will be that you want to run a linear model (cheapest run time)

To persuade the software otherwise, you must also select the following in the analysis definition form

If you have defined and assigned a hyperelastic material then the 'Hyperelasticiy' check box will automatically be selected.

This is quite useful even though it looks old and the buttons have moved around a bit; the maths doesn't change

http://support.ptc.com/cs/cs_27/howto/mst12563/mst12563.htm

Regards

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone

Hello Charles,

Have a the same reference.

Kind regards.

Denis

knispel
1-Newbie

Hello,

thank you, the problem is that I dont know how to find this box where I can even activate that box.

And I'm not allowed to open that link you sent due to my account. Dont know what that means. Maybe because I just have a student account...

DenisJaunin
15-Moonstone

Hello

Here is a model, it is old but may be it will make you service.

Kind regards.

Denis

Kathrin,

How is your model constrained? Did you use 'inertial relief' for your analysis? If so, this could easily be the culprit.

-Shaun

Sorry for the late response.

I didn't really use it on purpose but since I am simulating a biaxial tension test the body is nowhere really fixed in space. I just selected 'Simulate' in the taskbar and then it asks me for material, constraints, loads, you have to click analyse then and it gives you the results. There is no more options like 'analysis definition form'...

Just showing you what options I have:simulate.png

346gnu
12-Amethyst

that looks like 'simulate lite'

your options are very very limited starting with maximum of 200 surfaces and absolutely no good for non-linear of any kind.

you would probably need the advanced license.

Top Tags