cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

One hose partumber many routing options

BrianTaylor
4-Participant

One hose partumber many routing options

I  have a need to have one flexible hose assembly with 8 different routing options.   How are folks handling this type of scenario ?  Jim Barrett Smith what is a suggested technique from PTC fro such an application ?

1.  Flexible component comes to mind but that could get pretty involved

2.  Separate assemblies something like XXXXXX-1_route1.asm  XXXXXX-1_route2.asm and so forth

Thanks in advance

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:BrianTaylor)

At one company we set up the following naming rules.

Base part number showing the straight length with end fittings: hose_fitting1.prt ( did them as part files for simplicity)

First assembly that used that hose had the hose shaped to installation 1 and named:  hose_fitting1_assembly1-1.prt

First assembly that used that hose had the hose shaped to installation 2 and named:  hose_fitting1_assembly1-2.prt

Second assembly that used that hose had the hose shaped to installation 1 and named:  hose_fitting1_assembly2-1.prt

This allowed us to search Windchill for the hose_fitting1.prt and get a list of all of its uses.

This was also done before flexible components existed.

I think if I were to look at it again, flexible components with hose assembly files may be better. A lot would depend on how many duplicate hoses are in an assembly.

My 2 cents.

I work for a manufacturer that uses millions of hoses a year. think tillage

We use 8 different models for your situation.

We have predetermined hose lengths in our library that increment starting at 25mm for short hoses and jumps to 50mm for longer hoses for each size hose (-4 -6 -8 -10...)

We also use SWS hose ends on most all of our hoses.

for example: when I do a search in my PDM system for each part number I can find hundreds of routings for just one part number.

If the hose changes length then I look up the correlating part number and rename my models.

I couldn't begin to guess how many hose assembly part numbers we would have if we didn't do this.

It also makes servicing hoses a synch for dealers.

We also have a program that exports all of the hose data to a spreadsheet that catches any errors. I wish it would auto Name/Rename our parts as we check them in if needed but the programming for that is above my level.

Are there problems with this system? Yes, but the money this company is saving using this system saves them more than dealing with unique parts all over each machine. One downfall is we use a few extra fittings to make connections which leads to more leak paths    which drove our line workers to follow stringent standards and become better at insuring hoses are assembled properly.

Example:

123456_LAY0001

123456_LAY0002

123456_LAY0003

123456_LAY0004

123456_LAY0005

123456_LAY0006

123456_LAY0007

123456_LAY0008

ProProgram may also be an option.

Top Tags