cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

How to create a data set in MathCAD Prime 3.1 for mechanical and geometrical steel bars

jrodriguez-9
5-Regular Member

How to create a data set in MathCAD Prime 3.1 for mechanical and geometrical steel bars

I want to have a bar identifier as bar #1 #2 #3 #4 to #11

for each bar, a diameter and area.

also for each a type of elastic modulus (if steel, if carbon fiber, if glass fiber, etc.)

Yesterday I was told that Mathcad Prime does not offer a drop list box for this. However I was watching youtube and I noticed that using excel can be done. How can I do it and have this information somehow accessible for every calculation I perform like a tool box.

for example when I choose #2 bar then I want all these properties to appear in the calculation without having me to do them all over.

I would like to do these for large data sets.

please advise how. Thank you

13 REPLIES 13
jrodriguez-9
5-Regular Member
(To:jrodriguez-9)

Q4.pngI am trying to do something like this but for every bar diameter, I just want to be able to type phi sub f and a #1 and just to get the properties of the #1 and corresponding. I do not want all the whole matrix to appear but just for the appropriate bar number I need. How do make this happen?

jrodriguez-9
5-Regular Member

and also how can I store these tables on the Mathcad system so I do not have to re-do this process every time I want to start a calculation. I will like it to be integrated in the software system like part of the tool box, in the memory of the software.

jrodriguez-9
5-Regular Member

I can do this one by one but it will take forever. how can I assign this to a large number so I know that for every # bar the correct diameter appear and have it in the system.

jrodriguez-9
5-Regular Member

In other words how can I have an "Excel Component with their respective input and output information" saved and stored and applicable to any new calculation sheet that I decide to open. Lets say, even without having this "excel component" inserted in the calculation sheet itself but saved in the Mathcad system. Also how can you assign to every variable from 1 to 100 for example (in this case every sequential bar diameter) for large table an automatically assign the bar diameter sequentially without having for me to do it manually one by one like in this screen shot provided in the "output" region of the excel component.

This is a very simple problem as you have defined the bar number as the number of eighths of an inch hence the diameter is simply the bar number divided by eight.  As the bars are round the area is also very simple, the formula for the area of a circle.

My suggestion is that you not bother with the creation of the values in Mathcad but simply create the spread sheet with values and then import it into your work sheets.  Mind you as the data is so simple it will be simpler to calculate each time in the work sheet.

A

how can i import a sheet to my work sheet

can you help me

thank you

albertschepers
5-Regular Member
(To:melshab)

If you are asking about how to import an excell spread sheet then you use the following

There are parameters that need to be filled in but you can get that from the help file.

There are other functions that can be used READPRN, READTEXT, that you may also use.

A

Example created in Prime 3.0

I suggest you simply do the calculations in the wok sheet

Simple.

I agree that as many calculations should be done in Mathcad as possible.

But he's talking about different materials as well as different sizes, and a wide range of choices; so entire calculation in the application is not practical.  Burying all of the non-computable information in an EXCEL component, and creating a template with that component would be an attractive alternative.

I would have suggested that the material type could also be a variable, I would use a radio button in Mathcad, as the rest of the calculation is the same.  Mind you it is possible to force a selection of material as well which could then define the mechanical properties.  For instance:

A simple solution.

A

You're right!

Different ways to skin the cat. 

A

Top Tags