cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

I downloaded a zipped file (created by myself) from the electrical engineering community, after unzipping, I try to open it with mathcad (15), but the program fails to open and crashes.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I downloaded a zipped file (created by myself) from the electrical engineering community, after unzipping, I try to open it with mathcad (15), but the program fails to open and crashes.

On 15 december 2015, I have published two files relating to the same subject: the power lines in DC. The first .pdf and the other xmcd.zip. Why, after downloading the file with extension xmcd.zip and unzipping, mathcad crashes? while the original worksheet works properly...Can I do something to retrieve it functioning?

Thanks

FM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:-MFra-)

I have downloaded the file I was looking for, redone with some differences from the old one. It can be found in the  "electrical engineering" section. I would be happy to read the views of those concerned.

Greetings

FM

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Hard to say w/o seeing the file in question.

As you were able to unzip the file, the archive seems not to be damaged. So either the error happened when you zipped the file or when you unzipped it. In any case the Mathcad file seems to be damaged. Either it already was, when you zipped it or it got damaged in the process of unzipping (can't imagine how).

Maybe you unzipped the file to a drive Mathcad has not sufficient rights, maybe..., maybe ... how can we know?

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

It would have been easier if you had posted a link to the file. I assume it's this one: About DC Lines.xmcd

That is a huge file! 12.3Mb zipped! I can open it in Mathcad, although it takes a long time. The only thing in the file is one huge bitmap image. In Mathcad it appears blank, but if I right click on it and select "edit" then it appears fine in Paint. If I look at the XML of the file, that is consistent with what I see in Mathcad. There is the header information that defines fonts, etc, and then one very large binary item.

I don't see the point in publishing this file and the pdf, since this file is no more or less "functional" than the pdf. There is certainly no way to make it functional either. It's just a big image embedded in a Mathcad document.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:RichardJ)

The fact is that I have converted that worksheet into a giant image with the extension jpeg (wrongly, I have written pdf) that I published with no problems. The original was a normal worksheet, with xmcd extension, published later zipped. To my surprise I found in the worksheet, with xmcd extension, this bitmap. I repeat, this mutation, I have not made it. There is nothing to do to get the original file, so that those concerned of the community, they can download it? Indeed that file was a summary of a more extensive worksheet, which is still in my possession.

Thanks for the attention

FM

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

I repeat, this mutation, I have not made it.

You may not remember making it, but you surely did. Mathcad has some strange behavior and bugs sometimes, but it is not capable of changing the contents of a worksheet to a bitmap image.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

And what about the worksheet actually we talking about?

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:VladimirN)

The file in question is "About DC lines.xmcd" that, despite the xmcd extension, all the content has been converted into a large bitmap. Now I do not have time to re-create it, nor is there anyone who requested it, since it is a synthesis of a larger file, I should redo the synthesis.

Derbigdog
14-Alexandrite

Here is your file as a Jpeg

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Derbigdog)

...Maybe I have not explained well, I wish the original file with xmcd extension, without image jpeg or bmp. I think it is impossible, reading the other comments.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I have downloaded the file I was looking for, redone with some differences from the old one. It can be found in the  "electrical engineering" section. I would be happy to read the views of those concerned.

Greetings

FM

Top Tags