cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Sub-Assemblies saved on different folder

prebelo
1-Newbie

Sub-Assemblies saved on different folder

Hi guys,

Perhaps a noob question. When I have my "mother folder" with all the files inside and main assembly, I have some folders inside where are stored files related to a different assembly. Everytime I open the main assembly I have to manually open the subassembly folder location. Is there any way that I create a kind of shortcut, so when I open the main assembly, this sub assemblies is open with this location error??

Did you understand my question?

Thanks

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
12 REPLIES 12
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:prebelo)

There is a config.pro option called SEARCH_PATH

For each folder, add line in your config.pro

SEARCH_PATH C:\MOTHER_FOLDER\SUB-FOLDER-1

SEARCH_PATH C:\MOTHER_FOLDER\SUB-FOLDER-2

SEARCH_PATH C:\MOTHER_FOLDER\SUB-FOLDER-3

Creo will look through these folders for the parts/assemblies.

If you have an extensive # of folders, you may want to look in to the option SEARCH_PATH_FILE

But in this case, when I open the drawing in another pc it will give me the same error.

Imagine this scenario:

I am making a design of a mold and all the files are in folder "A". To this project I use previous projects that are sub assemblies of this main project. So inside folder A, I have folder B and C for this two sub-projects. This is a way of helping me to keep different components inside the same big project so I can move them to a different place later.

It doesn't matter if these are subfolders or a different location all together.

Creo doesn't search sub-folders by default...

and Creo doesn't care where the file comes from in an assembly.

The only thing that matters to Creo is memory.  You cannot have duplications in memory.

There is a specific order in how Creo searches for files.

StephenW
23-Emerald II

The way I used to handle this was:

I would make a project config.pro file that had all the folder locations for the project I was working on. That config.pro only had search path statements in it. This config.pro was only located in the top level project folder (It did not replace my standard config.pro at is in your working folder or your text folder).  I would start creo normally, then I would go load the config.pro that had the search path files in it for the project I was planning on working.

Each project had its on search path config and it was located in the top level folder for that project so anyone who had access to that folder could load that config and would have all the required search paths for that project.

If you needed to work on a different project, you would have to exit creo and then reload.

Two questions:

How can I "load the config.pro" when I open Creo.

On the search path do I have to input the complete path c:\project\subassembly1\ ? or there is a way to input the path that's inside the main folder? I ask that because if I move the project to another place, the config.pro with the complete search path will no longer work.

Thanks again

StephenW
23-Emerald II

After launching Creo, go to FILE - OPTIONS - CONFIGURATION EDITOR - IMPORT/EXPORT - IMPORT CONFIGURATION FILE.

You can then browse to the config file you need.

I believe you need to specify the full path but that may not be true if you set your working directory to the "mother folder", it may allow for it to be just the paths below. You would need to test this to verify if it works.

Once set up, this method will work. You will need to be very diligent with file management. Be very careful about backups and save-as command and where it puts your files. Having multiple copies of the same file in different folders can get really messy and cause a lot of confusion. If multiple users are working on the same project, you will need good communication. You can both have the same files open with no warning and save over each others work.

Thanks again.

I've managed to get it working with the full path. Perfect it would be only with the path inside the working folder. What do you mean by "just the paths below"? What should I write ? 

Thanks

StephenW
23-Emerald II

I'm not sure it's even an option. I did a quick test and couldn't get it too work.

I think you can use some of the system environment variables.

To be safe, use complete paths in every instance.

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I

Not using Windchill or some variation?  If not, tracking things in folders is recipe for disaster.

Yep, search path.  Typically this is used for "library" functions.

You have to be careful about this as there are occasions when things are found in the wrong place.

I've also seen this work on a larger scale where part number group segregation by folder.

These folders do require periodic maintenance but for the most part, this is the most benign system I know without a PDM.

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

Some more info that may help you.

Creo, unlike some CAD systems, does not keep track of where files are located.  Instead, it searches through a short list of locations to find the file needed:

1. In memory (Is it already open?  Keep in mind that Creo keeps files "in memory" even after you close the window.)
  2. The folder the parent object came from
  3. The working directory
  4. The search paths as defined n the config.pro file, as discussed above.

That's it.  Keeping this list in mind can help you make wise decisions about folder structure and file management.

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
Top Tags