cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Differentiation Problem

awibroe
14-Alexandrite

Differentiation Problem

Hello,

I am working from a Naval Architecture book which gives a problem to which I want to use MatCAD Prime to go through the problem myself (as the book has no explanation).

The initial expression is:

KM=0.5T+B^2/12T

Where the expressions are:

KM is a naval arch term which represents the distance from the Keel of a ship to the Metacentre

B is the Breadth of the Ship

T is the Draught.

The book gives a plot of the above expression for a ship with a breadth (B) of 15 and shows how as T increases KM reduces to a point.

The book goes on to state that you can find the draught (T) when KM is at its lowest value by differentiating the above expression with respect to T and equating to zero. It then gives this as:

dKM/dT = 0.5-B^2/12T^2

and states in the example of a ship with B of 15 the answer would be 6.12.

I however cannot work out how this was derived or how to use MatCAD to solve such a problem.

Any advice warmly welcomed.

Andy

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Simply done (Prime 3.0)

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:awibroe)

There's more than one way to approach this.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Here's one more (I'm limited to Prime express, so cannot do the symbolics):

success!
Luc

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite
(To:LucMeekes)

In short (I'm limited to Prime express, so cannot do the symbolics):

Glad to oblige

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III

Thanks, Rich.

I am able to see that in your attachment (which I can open with Prime 3.1 Express); as long as I don't mess with any unsupported (by Express) equations it still shows the answers.

Luc

RichardJ
19-Tanzanite

as long as I don't mess with any unsupported (by Express) equations it still shows the answers.

That's true. I haven't quite decided if I think that's a good feature of Prime or a bad one. I don't think it can do any harm, but I'm not 100% sure of that.

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:RichardJ)

I share your doubt. I think Mathematica offers similar behaviour: it can store the answers with the file so you don't have to recalculate all when you re-open the notebook.

Luc

Simply done (Prime 3.0)

awibroe
14-Alexandrite

Hello to all!

Thank you so much for all the help, I really appreciate it!

As far as I can see these are all the correct answer but I have selected the last one as the correct answer as it has a file for me to refer to (I am a kinetic learner and learn best through re creating the sheet myself).

Thanks,

Andy

Top Tags