cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

HELP WITH GIVEN and FIND

ppal
17-Peridot

HELP WITH GIVEN and FIND

I am trying to solve a set of equations using Given and Find.  I wish to define some boundary conditions. Eg. I may wish to limit some answers to a range between 0 and  1 or limit some values to positive numbers numbers. I don't know how. Your help will be appreciated. File is attached.

Basically I am using current and voltage data from relays at both ends of a line to find a fault location.

If we limit all values to real and  M is between  0 and 1

The expected answer for U  is about  0.75 - 0.76.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:ppal)

I think you have not addressed the problem properly. You should consider the impedances of which the resistance is the real part and the reactance the imaginary part. The results must adhere to these definitions.

Z1&Zm.jpg

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
StephenW
23-Emerald II

Toby Metcalf‌ Can you please move this question to the Mathcad section.

The PTC Community Help‌ section of the forum is for question about the forum itself. Toby will move the post to the right place and you'll get the help you need.

Thank you Stephen - moving to PTC Mathcad

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

Why do you name the variable M when it should be U?

You can name it U in the solve block and in all your equations and can albeit name it U in the solve vector, too.

As for the conditions, you may simply write 0<M<1 somewhere in the solve block. You get U=0.534

If the guess values are real, Mathcads solver will stay with real numbers.

If you want non-reals, then you would have to provide a non-real guess value.

But it seems that as your formulas use the complex unit j, you get a complex value for M rsp. U

To force a variable R1 to be real you could add something like Im(R1)=0.

As you have just 3 equations but 6 variables to solve for, you have a great degree of freedom concerning the possible solutions.

Werner

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

I think you have not addressed the problem properly. You should consider the impedances of which the resistance is the real part and the reactance the imaginary part. The results must adhere to these definitions.

Z1&amp;Zm.jpg

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:-MFra-)

No need to demand Im(M)=0 as M>0 implies M is real.

But of course it does not harm.

Top Tags