cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

OIR Folder setting

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

OIR Folder setting

Before I open a call with PTC to report this as a bug, I want to see if others are having the same issue.

The CS article states that you can change the folder location for things like promotion requests, change requests, change notices, parts, etc.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS21487

I have modified my OIR for Promotion Requests to use folder.id of /Default/Promotion Requests/2016. This works fine.

I have done the same for Change Requests, /Default/Change/Change Requests/2016. This also works.

When I set Change Notice to use /Default/Change/Change Notice/2016, change notices fail to be created and I get an error. As soon as I reload the OIR with only /Default for the folder, I can create a change notice.

Shouldn't the folder.id setting work the same across all types of data?

Windchill 10.0 m040.

5 REPLIES 5
bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

My company currently provides support for a customer that does exactly this same thing.  They have created soft types of CR, CN and CT and both the CR and CN soft types go into a subfolder of the product/library called "/Default/Change Management and Issue Tracking" as defined in the OIR, so what you are describing should in fact work.  They use Windchill 10.2 M030, CPS14.

Can you post the specific error message/log stack you receive?

Some of the possible causes off the top of my head:

• You've likely checked this, but does the "/Default/Change/Change Notice/2016" folder actually exist in the context in which you are trying to create the Change Notice?

• Assuming the folder DOES exist, does the user trying to create the CN have appropriate ACLs granting the ability?  Is the specific subfolder also have the ACLs granted appropriately (of course you cannot ad-hoc deny, but if the practice is in place to provide ad-hoc grant to subfolders, then that needs to be verified).  In other words, does the "Manage Security" page show at least one combination of user, object type, and location having a "Create" access granted?

• While you did not mention this (and is not likely), was the Change Task OIR updated to also change the folder.id attribute?  Keep in mind that the OIR for a CT should NOT have a folder.id attribute, as this causes problems (the Change Task effectively sits in the same location as the Change Notice on whose Implementation Plan the Change Task resides).
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:bsindelar)

If I set the folder.id to "/Default/Change/Change Notice/2016, I get the following pop-up message: This task cannot be displayed because you do not have permission to view the subject. Contact your project manager to increase your access rights.

1-Folder does exist, I am manually moving the CN notices from the /Default location to "/Default/Change/Change Notice/2016.

2-I am the system admin so I should have all rights to the system. I can manually put files in that folder, just when I go to create the Change Notice I get the error, unless the folder.id is /Default.

WTChangeOrder2 and WTChangeActivty2 both have create permission for the group that is the Principal of which I am a member.

-Change Task does not have a folder.id set. There are no CT documents created, only CR and CN.

I have previously opened a call with PTC and their answer was to leave it at /Default.

Cop out if there ever was one, as that does not solve my issue. Maybe it is just an issue with WC10.0M040?

I've never gone more than 2 levels deep - possibly you can't have that many.  Maybe the space is the issue - always good practice to eliminate spaces.  Seems like correct syntax though in general.

Since the error message has nothing to do with folders, it may be something going on with the workflow process.  Worth testing with a lifecycle mapped to a minimal workflow template with no Activities.

Mike - I've never gone more than 2 levels deep - possibly you can't have that many.  Maybe the space is the issue - always good practice to eliminate spaces.  Seems like correct syntax though in general.

/Default/Change/Change Request/2016 and /Default/Change/Promotion Request/2016 both work fine, only /Default/Change/Change Notice/2016 fails to work properly.

Mike - Since the error message has nothing to do with folders, it may be something going on with the workflow process.  Worth testing with a lifecycle mapped to a minimal workflow template with no Activities.

The Change Notice and Change Task workflows are basically OOTB from what I have seem by looking at them, just renamed by the prior sys admin. I can run the CR through the CN and complete the task.

Maybe next week I can test it with WC11m010 OOTB that I installed earlier this week as a test.

bsindelar
6-Contributor
(To:BenLoosli)

The error message you are getting suggests an ACL issue to me.  The "Project Manager" part in particular is interesting: 

If this is for a product/library, making some assumptions about the ACLs in your system, and while this SHOULDN'T be required due to being an administrator, can you verify any of the following ACLs --> membership combinations for your user exist at any level visible at that product/library context, and that you have tested them:

1. On WTObject, "All" states, for Product/Library Manager role, access: +Full Control  --> user in Product/Library manager role
  2. On WTChangeOrder2, "All" states, for CAI or CAII role, access: +Full Control  --> user in CAI or CAII role

Also, check to make sure there are no explicit "Deny" ACLs on the object - I know, an obvious one, but remember that a deny applied to a group/role can ONLY be overwritten by a grant explicitly to a single user.

I did also find a similar issue on PTC TS, case CS23824.  Although it is for a different software, it is the exact error you posted here, so it may be something you can provide to PTC TS.

Lastly, I take it this is the error the user gets upon trying to finish the "New Change Notice" wizard.  Have you checked the Windchill MethodServer error logs for any other details?  If it produces anything in particular with a logger in the message, you could also increase verbosity on the logger, recreate the error, see if you get more information, and then post here for further investigation.

Top Tags