cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

How to built a milling cutter tool?

aplagge
1-Newbie

How to built a milling cutter tool?

Hi Guys!

I want the enclosed workpiece (rectangular, horizontal) with a milling process (cylinder). This means that I move this milling cutter through my workpiece and everything it touches this is cut away. That is: I move the milling cutter many times back and forth and up and down. I suppose so from material.

milling_cutter.PNG

What do exactly I need in order to declare this round column to a milling cutter, so that it will do so if I move it through the workpiece?

Please no other ideas to take away material / subtract. I want to make this in exactly this way. And me to create various tools (cutters, drills).

Moving/handling of the milling cutter tool: Modeling - Position - Dynamic. So that I can control my tools in all 3 directions.

Thank you!

Best wishes,
Andreas

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4
tivancso
14-Alexandrite
(To:aplagge)

Hello Andreas,

There is no current module or command set within Modeling to simulate material removal via a tooling cutter process. This could possibly be accomplished with an extensive amount of customization work in regards to writing a Lisp routine that would use the standard machining commands to remove the material.

Since there is a plethora of 3rd party machining simulation applications available in the industry this type of requirement has never been in much demand by the Creo Elements Direct Modeling user community to be added to the modeling application command suite.

Regards,

Thom

Hello Thom,

thank you very much for your reply!

For having no misunderstanding: that, what I mean, is like a rubber. I define a tool (like a cylinder for example) and this parts of my workpiece, that is having contact to this tool, that is going in nirvana. Not all the piece, only the intruding part from the tool body is going.

I am a real beginner in 3D, but I thought, that this function is a normal one, a standard one.

Best regards,

Andreas

tivancso
14-Alexandrite
(To:aplagge)

Hello Andreas,

I understand the concept you are looking for unfortunately there is no command to do this in Modeling that will react like an eraser and remove the material as you move the tool along a path.

The closet you could come to do this is to move the tool reference model into the part model and subtract the material from the part using the tool, while keeping the tool and then moving the tool a distance and running the Subtract command again.

Look at the Subtract command under the Model | Boolean options.

Regards,

Thom

Hello Thom,

thank you again for your reply 🙂

Now my idea is, before starting with 3D in more then this 2 objects, to build some tools like a cylinder, a cube, a pyramid, a cone, a "U"-profile and others, and then to save its as "tools", that I can use in each project again (like this milling cutter, but not in this function). If not possible to define as a global tool, then at side of my workingpieces for using them, to cut by the given functions from CREO. For making for example holes with 6mm or 8mm or 10mm drills (cylinders).

Is that a good idea, if I am using often the same tools with their sizes?

Best regards,

Andreas

Top Tags