cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Can a design in Creo Schematic be shared between several users ?

rnoah
8-Gravel

Can a design in Creo Schematic be shared between several users ?

All,

I would like to know whether there are any news about the possibility to work several people on the same design ?

in addition, i would like to add the possibility, using the API, to have a search that will go and search through the entire design & Library.

did any of you developed this capability ? any though on this ?

Thanks for sharing your inputs.

3 REPLIES 3
aoler
9-Granite
(To:rnoah)

You can have multiple users work on a single design by exporting & importing design sheets. I have used this approach before. Basically, Engineer 1 creates a Block Diagram and applies datasets to components. Sheet(s) can be exported out to other Engineers where they can begin to create a Wiring Diagram of the Block Diagram. Then the Wiring Diagram sheets must be exported out and imported back into the Original Engineer 1 design Block Diagram.  Everything will sync up. Should there be any duplicate wire/cable names they will be updated automatically to the next available name.

You will want to experiment back and forth with some simple examples to see how it works. Make sure all the designs involved are using the same central catalog and are up to date.

Greetings Rami,

I completely agree with Aron, that you can have multiple people working on one design.  But you need to be aware of some pitfalls that we encountered at Caterpillar.  1)  On person needs to be designated as the design owner who will merge all the imported sheets into the master design.  This will help with managing changes and the linking of symbol co-shapes if needed.  2)  Make sure all the designs are verified to the same catalog before exporting/importing sheets.  3) Make sure all the users have the same global properties and design templates.   We have used these steps on multiple designs with success.

Good Luck

Frank Mohr

BillF
13-Aquamarine
(To:rnoah)

"using the API, to have a search that will go and search through the entire design & Library.  Did any of you developed this capability ? "

We have had Cassandra Kemp have her programmer (husband Martin that also worked for PTC) write some Java code that queries and edits the design database.  They also wrote a part finder that searches the central library for specific parts.

We know it is possible but we haven't done it ourselves.

Top Tags