cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

Help Understanding Complex Matrix Calculations?

rmcmullen
1-Newbie

Help Understanding Complex Matrix Calculations?

Hi,

The following matrix calculations were completed in Mathcad:

mc_difference.png

My feeling is that the vector solutions for the last two matrix x vector calculations should be equal.  I would appreciate help understanding where I have made an error,

Thank You!

Rick

6 REPLIES 6

You are only seeing one significant digit of the second element in "pvi".  I think its value is closer to 0.0095.  When you use 0.0095 instead of 0.01, the result is much closer.

I think the other difference is that the first element of "pvi" is not equal to "pi".  You calculated "pi" as (tot[1,1)*po.  However, the first element of "pvi" is equal to (tot[0,0)*po.  That is, unless you changed "ORIGIN" to 1.

rmcmullen
1-Newbie
(To:MJG)

Hi Mark,

Thank you very much for your response.  I am displaying more significant figures in my work because of your input.

Thank You!

Rick

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:rmcmullen)

ttot.jpg

Hi F.M.,

Thank you for your work to help me understand my mistake.  The calculated pvi vector matches a known solution I have from another source.  I will be more careful with the accuracy of numbers I input to the equations!

Thank You!

Rick

Hi.

You can try to solve the above system, with u-v solve a,b -> for example, to impose some conditions where the product was equal. But it is not for general values.

Best regards.

Alvaro.

min.gif

Hi Alvaro,

The rigorous symbolic representation of my problem that you presented helped me understand the different results I obtained in my calculations.  I have the "origin" variable set to 1 for my matrix calculations but the point you make still applies.

Thank You!

Rick

Top Tags