cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Is it possible for isodraw files to be managed by Windchill

bradlawrence
9-Granite

Is it possible for isodraw files to be managed by Windchill

We have finally figured out how to connect Arbortext and Windchill together, able to checkout ditamap and dita files, modify them and check back into Windchill.

Is there anyway to connect Isodraw and Windchill together to modify isodraw files, the same way Arbortext and Windchill work together.

I know within Arbortext, importing the Arbortext files for the first time, you can "save as server object" on the ditamap and dita files, it will upload the linked .iso files. 

But again, if you want to modify the .iso files, how to checkout the .iso files, modify them and check back in to Windchill, just like arbortext files?

3 REPLIES 3

It's actually a bit simpler in some respects and a little more complex in another.

As for simpler, you're of course only dealing with the one file. You don't have to set up the import routine.

As for more difficult, and only slightly so, you do need the Workgroup Manager which is a download from Windchill. Unlike Editor, the connection to browse/search Windchill is not build directly into IsoDraw. Once you install the manager (downloads from inside Windchill) it basically just acts as a separate window.

So, in our situation, when someone starts IsoDraw it automatically kicks off Workgroup Manager. From the manager you can check-out/in a file. There's also a quick view button (depending on your WC version). This opens it directly in IsoDraw. It does not check-out the file though. If modifications are made and you attempt to save it will note this and ask if you want to check it out.

Works pretty well. As a side note, this does connect IsoDraw and Windchill even more so in regards to upgrades. The IsoDraw version must be compatible with the Windchill version in place. Not too surprising there. You can also then place your Creo files (assuming you are using) directly into the IsoDraw files and the relationship is maintained.

Ok, we got the Windchill Workgroup Manager download.  Now, do not know how to make it talk to isodraw, how do you set it up where you start isodraw and automatically kicks off Workgroup Manager?  You mentioned versions to be compatible, where can I find that information?

I know there is a configuration that must be done so that Workgroup Manager recognizes IsoDraw. I don't know how though. That has been handled by server group in the past. I'd suggest contacting support on that. I know once we have it downloaded we have to open it and then choose the IsoDraw version to register it. Once that's done IsoDraw connects. Again though, that important piece I'm not familiar with. I'd contact support for guidance.

Top Tags