cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Dimension properties

talderman
1-Newbie

Dimension properties

Hello,

Is it possible to apply the dimension properties of a previously created dimension to a new dimension or another dimension in the drawing environment? I send a lot of time creating dimensions from scratch and then going in and changing the individual properties of a dimension. Only to create more dimensions with the same exact properties, the only difference is the dimension value. It's very time consuming and redundant. Any help would be appreciated.

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
7 REPLIES 7
StephenW
23-Emerald II
(To:talderman)

If you select multiple dimensions, you can adjust the properties of all the dimensions.

This is helpful and a step in the right direction

psobejko
12-Amethyst
(To:StephenW)

I think that PTC should shamelessly copy what other CAD packages offer:

Solidworks has the "favorites" concept - you can store a style of any dimension in a favorites list - then apply this favorite style to other dimensions.

AutoCAD also has the dimension styles that you can define and apply at will.

Dimension Style is basically a recipe for various aspects of the dimension "entities" such as tolerance and appearance.

With Creo, you can only manage the appearance in the .DTL file, and then it applies these settings for all dimensions.

Typical lack of flexibility...

Very much like Dimension style. I believe match format can also accomplish this as well in AutoCad

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:psobejko)

You can select an existing dimension/note/annotation and apply those settings to other annotations.

All CAD packages have to setup the initial default style for annotation types to match your company preferences. Some just do it easier than others.

The text file format that PTC uses is archaic, but it is functional. Is it really worth your maintenance dollars going into a GUI for something that is usually done once? It may take some tweaking for a new installation, but generally once created is not modified.

Hi,

I am just curious ... please can you publish what properties do you set for a dimension.

MH

Martin Hanák

I am sorry I can't provide a screen shot but basically it's:

Properties Tab

Value and Display: Decimal places

Tolerance: Tolerance Mode, Tolerance Tab, Decimal places

Display

Prefix and Suffix

These are the main fields that I am constantly editing within my dimension properties. However not limited to just these because I need to edit witness display and text orientation on different occasions also.

Top Tags