cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can Bookmark boards, posts or articles that you'd like to access again easily! X

Date code question

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst

Date code question

Hello all, I have a question about Creo date code or version. I know that somebody working with an earlier release of Creo could not open a file created with a more recent version of Creo, but does that apply to the date code releases of a given version. Can files created with Creo 3 M100 be opened & worked on with Creo 3 M070 for example. I think the answer is yes, but I just want to be certain before I up-date.

Regards

John

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Creo 3 M100 files can be opened and worked in Creo 3 M070.

I think that you understand that these two datecodes have two different sets of bugs .

MH

Martin Hanák

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hi,

Creo 3 M100 files can be opened and worked in Creo 3 M070.

I think that you understand that these two datecodes have two different sets of bugs .

MH

Martin Hanák

Thanks Martin, I thought as much, but best to check first. I have a customer using the M070 & I want to up-date to M100, I read somewhere that you can edit notes pre- Creo 3 way, instead of the current text editor which is infuriating to use.

Thanks for your input Roy.

Regards

John

You are ok to work with different date codes it's the creo to creo2 to creo3 versions that are not backwardly compatible. Once a file is translated to creo3 it can't go back to creo2.

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:John.Pryal)

All builds (F000, M070, M200, etc.) of a version (Creo2, Creo3, etc.) can be opened in any other build of the same version OR a newer version.

With the right optional (GCRI) plug-ins, you can open a newer version file in an older version, but it will not have parametric features from the newer version.

GRANITE-based Cross-Release Interoperability for Pro/ENGINEER - PTC.com

This is all true,  However I will also offer a warning.

I work for several different clients and almost all of them are on different date codes and have different start parts, config layering preferences etc...  I manage this by loading several different builds of Creo onto my server in different sub-directories and loading specific client configs accordingly...   Anyway...

We have gotten into trouble using the wrong date code for a specific client...   Here is the example:

Client is working on Creo2 M070.  I happen to launch Creo2 M100 to do the work.  Everything is great and regenerates properly on my end.   When I send the files back to the client they do something that forces a regeneration and they get a failure.   All of the sudden I look like a bad designer!!!

These failures are usually very simple issues (round that lost its edge,  surface merge that flipped direction, etc)  but they are failures and as a contract designer they make me look bad.

Moral of the story:   Can a earlier version of Creo2 open a file from a later version of Creo2...  Yes, but I wouldn't recommend it.   You never know when its gonna bite you in the back side!

Good Luck

Bernie

Bernie Gruman

Owner / Designer / Builder

www.GrumanCreations.com

John.Pryal
12-Amethyst
(To:bgruman)

Hi Bernie, oops! I have already up-dated. I will just have to see what happens now. In my case, we are talking about 1 client, worse case scenario, I would have to re-install M070, but it is worth the risk, I can once again edit notes the old fashioned way, with a properties window.

Thanks for the advice.

John

Martin is correct, files should be cross compatible for all builds of a specific version.  However, keep in mind that PTC has muddied the waters on this now by introducing new functionality in newer builds.  How will that be handled when a file created in a newer build using new functions is opened in an older build. 

Most are things that shouldn't directly effect the models, but some are.  For example, the direct opening of SW files wasn't available until Creo 3 M020, I believe.  What if I create a file on Creo 3 M020 by opening a SW file directly and then save it and send it to a colleague or client that's running F000 or M010?

--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:dgschaefer)

Hopefully any build functionality changes will not change the data structure of the part files and make them incompatible to an earlier build. If PTC starts doing this, it will really cripple those customers who run multiple versions.

The opening of a SW file in Creo3m020 or higher should have no impact on the saved Creo file if reopened in F000 or M010. The data has been imported and 'translated' to Creo format and no longer needs the SW file or its structure.

Top Tags