cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

We are happy to announce the new Windchill Customization board! Learn more.

Drawing Type for ACL

BenLoosli
23-Emerald II

Drawing Type for ACL

I am trying to add some users with an ACL for their group to have read-only access to drawings in any state.

As an emergency fix, we put one user in the design group, which has read and write access to drawings and models. This is too much for this group of people.

They are in their own functional group at the Org level as we use their group for sign-off on Change Requests. They want to see the drawings of the items that they are approving, not just the CR text.

I tried assigning them to a read-only group and that did not resolve the issue, but there may be something else with that group.

I tried adding a new ACL for in-work EPMdocumnets, but that is the wrong document type and it did not work.

Looking in Type Manager, I cannot find an icon that matches the drawing icon to get the proper type name for a drawing. Does anyone have a cross-reference list of the Windchill type name to a common engineering name?

Windchill 10.0 m040

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Parts, Assemblies and Drawings are all "CAD Documents" in WIndchill - which is a sub type of EPMDocument.

Cannot assign different ACL's to Parts, Assemblies and Drawings.

From an existing Drawing (find one at each state), select Manage Security and then search for a specific user - to confirm and investigate where they are getting their current access from (which specific ACLs).

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Parts, Assemblies and Drawings are all "CAD Documents" in WIndchill - which is a sub type of EPMDocument.

Cannot assign different ACL's to Parts, Assemblies and Drawings.

From an existing Drawing (find one at each state), select Manage Security and then search for a specific user - to confirm and investigate where they are getting their current access from (which specific ACLs).

This isn't really possible because by default they are all 'CAD Documents'. But you could create a subtype of the 'CAD Documents', but I'm not sure if this is already possible in WT10.0. Then you could create a seperate ACL for a subtype called 'CAD Drawings'.

There is a tool to convert a CAD Document to a different subtype, wt.epm.util.SoftTypeChangeUtility. You would also need to change the default behavior to create a softtype 'CAD Drawings' for each new drawing stored in Windchill

best regards,

Stijn

MikeLockwood
22-Sapphire I
(To:sderoose)

You can in fact sub type CAD (EPM) Docs now but there is still no real way to ensure that users select the correct type on creation - unless all CAD is created directly from template and then populated with files later.

There is an easy solution by using the EPMDefaultSoftTypes.xml:

http://www.ptc.com/cs/help/windchill_hc/wc102_hc/index.jspx?id=ProEWCIntegCustCADDocSoftType&action=show

You could adjust the file so that for doctype CADDRAWING the subtype is used. But I haven't tried it for PROE files, only for a different authoring application.

Top Tags