cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Is there in mathcad a function that let us know the values and the frequency, when the mathcad "mode(A,B,...)" function returns the "multimodal" error?

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Is there in mathcad a function that let us know the values and the frequency, when the mathcad "mode(A,B,...)" function returns the "multimodal" error?

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know if mathcad provides a function that allows us to know what are the values that have the same frequency, and the frequency too, when the mathcad "mode(A,B,...)"  function returns the "multimodal" error?

To be more clear, it is given the vector A, consisting of N elements with random values included within certain limits, I want a function that let me know what are the elements of A that have the same statistical frequency, and what is the statistical frequency, since the mathcad 15 function "mode(A)"  returns "mutimodal error" if in the vector there are more than one value with the same statistical frequency.

Thank you

FM

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:-MFra-)

I fear that the hist or histogram function does not help that much, unless you find an easy way to create a histogram where every data value has its own bin and the midpoints of the intervals are exactly the data values.

Otherwise you would have rely on a small user-written function. I guess the creation of the correct vector of interval endpoints for "histogram" would be the same work as writung a routine which outputs exactly what you demanded.

Heres a quick hack which sure could be done in a more elegant way:

BTW, if you like to draw the histograms any way, I would suggest you use "histogram" instead of "hist" and use the first column of the output on the abscissa instead of the number of the bins.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
Fred_Kohlhepp
23-Emerald I

take a look at histogram

Fred Kohlhepp написал(а):

take a look at histogram

Like this

14-19-live-gistogramm.png

about multimodal.jpg

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

I fear that the hist or histogram function does not help that much, unless you find an easy way to create a histogram where every data value has its own bin and the midpoints of the intervals are exactly the data values.

Otherwise you would have rely on a small user-written function. I guess the creation of the correct vector of interval endpoints for "histogram" would be the same work as writung a routine which outputs exactly what you demanded.

Heres a quick hack which sure could be done in a more elegant way:

BTW, if you like to draw the histograms any way, I would suggest you use "histogram" instead of "hist" and use the first column of the output on the abscissa instead of the number of the bins.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II
(To:Werner_E)

Thanks Werner,

I like this solution, although I was looking for an equivalent function provided by mathcad.

I am a bit puzzled by  the argument of the if statement in the for loop: the column index of the matrix M  starts by "O -1" which is negative, so the first element of the vector v  is compared with something indefinite...

However, again many thanks

Greetings

FM

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

I am a bit puzzled by  the argument of the if statement in the for loop: the column index of the matrix M  starts by "O -1" which is negative, so the first element of the vector v  is compared with something indefinite...

O-1 is not necessarily negative, but it sure would be an invalid matrix index.

As I wrote its a quick hack and could/should be done better. I am relying on the fact, that Mathcad uses short-circuit evaluation for boolean expressions. That means that the second argument is executed or evaluated only if the first argument does not suffice to determine the value of the expression.

So if i=O is true (looking at the first vector element) the second expression (which looks at the previous vector element) needs not to be evaluated and therefore Mathcad don't even look at it. If it would be evaluated, we would get an error because of the invalid index. Its convenient but admittedly not really good programming style and could easily done without by assigning the first value outside of the loop. But now we have to additionally consider the case that the vector consists of one element only (second statement in program fragment below).

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

The unmodified program produces a correct result, even in the case of a vector consisting of a single element while the modified one, reports an error.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V

So the quick hack rules 😉

Possible reason for the error is that it should read: return (1  v)^T in the second line. Had not tested and forgot to transpose.

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

Alles in ordnung!

Dankeschön

StuartBruff
23-Emerald II

... a variant of your Mode function using my setcount function.  Handles scalars, single-element arrays, vectors, matrices and arbitrarily-deeply nested arrays.

There is an ORIGIN-independent version in the attached worksheet.

The function T (used in prefix mode) simply transposes any nested arrays in an array - useful for showing results in a more compact form (well, vertically at least!)

Stuart

great utility - as usual!

Top Tags