cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Piping Fittings - spec driven and non-spec driven - separate family tables?

msteed
12-Amethyst

Piping Fittings - spec driven and non-spec driven - separate family tables?

Can spec driven fittings and non-spec driven fittings be used interchangeably, or should different family tables be used for each design method?

I am aware that spec driven uses size and end type parameters on the fitting ports. Also, that non-spec driven lacks these parameters, but uses a datum point for axial alignment. I tried placing a datum point in a spec driven fitting and it produced a location offset.

1 REPLY 1
sully7
13-Aquamarine
(To:msteed)

Hi,

Yes, these fittings can be used interchangeably in both non-spec driven and spec-driven piping, as long as they contain all the necessary inputs.

As you pointed out - since "non spec-driven" uses points (as well as CSYS features) to place the fitting int he pipeline, it will need point features.

However "spec-driven piping" uses CSYS features labeled PORT0 and PORT1, which, as you also pointed out, need parameters for the appropriate size and end type.

So I typically model a group of stand-alone features to look something like this:

tree.PNG

When you created the datum point - did you create it "on" the PORT0 or PORT1 CSYS? Just curious - because that's how I like to model my piping features, and it typically works out fine.

Note: there is also the parameter for "Y_ECCENTRICITY" which enables the inlet and outlet ports to be placed offset from eachother instead of "inline".

Can you post a screenshot of what you are seeing? It would help me understand what you're seeing.

Thanks,

James Sullivan

CadActive Technologies

President & Founder
CadActive Technologies - www.cadactive.com
Top Tags