cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Engineering sense of the correct answer in the calculations

ValeryOchkov
24-Ruby IV

Engineering sense of the correct answer in the calculations

I ask my students give correct answers in reports. One example

But I have seen in one German tram (constructed by good engineers) this table

Why 229 places for stay - not 230? The street car will break with 230 men?

In Mathcad Prime Minister we have

29 REPLIES 29
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ValeryOchkov)

"The street car will break with 230 men?"

I guess it is to prevent the standing passengers from getting crushed, if you let more than 229 in....

I wonder what the personal space per person is that they calculated with.

In general, the (numeric) answer to a problem should not have more significant digits than the smallest number of siginificant digits of the input data.

If that is that what your '-1' setting is doing in Mathcad Prime Minister, then it should not be a '-1' setting on decimals, but rather a check box, that applies to most of the formats.

Success with the implementation.

Luc

Jules Verne was not an engineer - he was a lawyer with education! More about this problem http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/MathLit.pdf

mnori
12-Amethyst

About literature and math, has anybody tried  to determine how it works exactly (e.g. how many souls? expected profit ? ) the scheme of Chichicov in Мёртвые ду́ши ( Gogol) ?

— А сколько бы вы дали? — спросил Плюшкин и сам ожидовел: руки его задрожали, как ртуть.— Я бы дал по двадцати пяти копеек за душу.— А как вы покупаете, на чистые?— Да, сейчас деньги.— Только, батюшка, ради нищеты-то моей, уже дали бы по сорока копеек.— Почтеннейший! — сказал Чичиков, — не только по сорока копеек, по пятисот рублей заплатил бы! с удовольствием заплатил бы, потому что вижу — почтенный, добрый старик терпит по причине собственного добродушия.— А ей-Богу, так! ей-Богу, правда! — сказал Плюшкин, свесив голову вниз и сокрушительно покачав ее. — Всё от добродушия.— Ну, видите ли, я вдруг постигнул ваш характер. Итак, почему ж не дать бы мне по пятисот рублей за душу, но... состоянья нет; по пяти копеек, извольте, готов прибавить, чтобы каждая душа обошлась, таким образом, в тридцать копеек.— Ну, батюшка, воля ваша, хоть по две копейки пристегните.— По две копеечки пристегну, извольте. Сколько их у вас? Вы, кажется, говорили семьдесят?— Нет. Всего наберется семьдесят восемь.— Семьдесят восемь, семьдесят восемь, по тридцати копеек за душу, это будет... — здесь герой наш одну секунду, не более, подумал и сказал вдруг: — это будет двадцать четыре рубля девяносто шесть копеек, — он был в арифметике силен.

Chichikov did not have Mathcad and made an error

Correct

mnori
12-Amethyst

Was he supposed to pocket a loan for such investment?

Massimiliano Nori написал(а):

Was he supposed to pocket a loan for such investment?

Главное в том, что тайные сношения с контрабандистами сделались явными. Статский советник хоть и сам пропал, но таки упек своего товарища. Чиновников взяли под суд, конфисковали, описали все, что у них ни было, и все это разрешилось вдруг как гром над головами их. Как после чаду опомнились они и увидели с ужасом, что наделали. Статский советник, по русскому обычаю, с горя запил, но коллежский устоял. Он умел затаить часть деньжонок, как ни чутко было обоняние наехавшего на следствие начальства. Употребил все тонкие извороты ума, уже слишком опытного, слишком знающего хорошо людей: где подействовал приятностью оборотов, где трогательною речью, где покурил лестью, ни в каком случае не портящею дела, где всунул деньжонку, — словом, обработал дело по крайней мере так, что отставлен был не с таким бесчестьем, как товарищ, и увернулся из-под уголовного суда. Но уже ни капитала, ни разных заграничных вещиц, ничего не осталось ему; на все это нашлись другие охотники. Удержалось у него тысячонок десяток, запрятанных про черный день, да дюжины две голландских рубашек, да небольшая бричка, в какой ездят холостяки, да два крепостных человека, кучер Селифан и лакей Петрушка, да таможенные чиновники, движимые сердечною добротою, оставили ему пять или шесть кусков мыла для сбережения свежести щек — вот и все. Итак, вот в каком положении вновь очутился герой наш!

When I was in Rome I visited in first line the Gogol café

RomeGogol.jpg

mnori
12-Amethyst

Si, questo è l'Antico Caffè Greco in via Condotti.

Did you read "Rome" by Gogol?

What can you say about it?

mnori
12-Amethyst

Such a nice story, also so celebrative of Italy and Italians...I did not know Gogol wrote "Dead souls" during his staying in Rome.

In  my Italian version also Peppe made a mistake summing the dreams book numbers :

"corse subito a consultare il libro dei sogni e venne a sapere che satanasso fa numero 13, il naso 25, San Pancrazio 30, e prese I tre numeri, li assommò, uscì 67 e prese anche 67".

PeppesCalculations.gif

Thanks, Massimo!

In Russian version all ok: нос - naso 24 not 25

Сон этот произвел большие толки между сьорой Чечилией, сьорой Сусанной и всей почти улицей; но Пеппе разрешил его по-своему: сбегал тот же час за гадательной книгой, узнал, что черт значит 13 нумер, нос 24, святой Панкратий 30, и взял того же утра все три нумера. Потом сложил все три нумера, вышел: 67, он взял и 67. Все четыре нумера, по обыкновению, лопнули.

http://www.веб-библиотека.рф/text/1551/p.1/index.html

I did not know Gogol wrote "Dead souls" during his staying in Rome.

Работа над первым томом проходила в Риме в конце 1837 года — начале 1839 года.

The 1-st volume was written in the end 1837 - begin 1839 in Rome.

mnori
12-Amethyst

thanks Valery,

Did Gogol write originally the nose number in figure?

thanks Valery,

Did Gogol write originally the nose number in figure?

In manuscript?

mnori
12-Amethyst

Just puzzling about the source of the difference in the two versions and also some details of Peppe character. just a typos probably in the Italian translation.

There is the novel "Nose" (Нос) by Gogol.

mnori
12-Amethyst

Also in this French version le nez 24

Rome (Gogol) - Wikisource

And in English version if it is?

mnori
12-Amethyst

Unfortunately it looks that it is not available an English translation of it.

In my paper book all ok

pepe.png

I think it is a mistake only in Italian version

mnori
12-Amethyst

Good and 25 should be Xmas for the Italian Kabbalah!

Rome.jpg

One story about Adventure of my nose in NYC http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/nyhotel.pdf

I ask somebody to translate it into English (or Italian). Ai now inglish veri litel!

The ending of the story is.

I half-year correspondence with the insurance company of the hotel. The company offered me $ 3,000 compensation, I asked for $ 5,000. We agreed on $ 4,000. I got this money in Moscow and spent it to very interesting trip to Turkey!

My lunch in one café of this hotel after this Adventure.

NYC-nose.jpg

mnori
12-Amethyst

With the support of Google translator, it is not impossible to translate it also for a beginner in Russian (malinki po-rusky govariu), though there are some concerns with tenses (present and past), reflexive and personal pronouns ( and some idiomatic expressions(I think)) of the automatic translation.

Was the difference between insurance compensation and doctor's bill due to different exchange rates Dollar vs Rubles ?

Thanks, Massimo!

Dollar and euro in this day for ruble ratio:

mnori
12-Amethyst

A beginner translation to English I made with the help of Google translator and this link about Russian sayings and proverbs for "С парши́вой овцы́ -- хоть ше́рсти клок."Russian Proverbs and Sayings - With English Translation

Thank you, Massimo!

I would like to translate some my book and articles!

Can you help me?

mnori
12-Amethyst

Hi Valery,

thank you for the proposal.

I sent you a message about that!

I have seen this table in one street car

Мест для сидения 24.45 (seats)

Мест для стояния 235.55 (standing)

Мест для висения 12.67 (places to hover)

It was at 1-st April

Top Tags