cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

simple operations with Latitude and Longitude coordinates

ccattaneo
3-Visitor

simple operations with Latitude and Longitude coordinates

I am discovering that in Prime 3.1 there is not the possibility to manage ( or at least I have not been able ) East and North geographical coordinates

example : East01 = 12° 20' 30" , North01 = 44° 14' 28"

I found only the measure unit of " ° " but not first ' and second "

I would like work with the above mentioned coordinates and write some programs to convert them ( for example in grade sessadecimal ) or use to determine direction ( from East01,North01 to East02,North02 ) ; this second case is very frequent for the calculation of the navigation routes

I am waiting to know the state of the art on this matter ; possible or not with Mathcad Prime 3.1 ;

a few years ago , can not remember if with Mathcad 2001 or Mathcad 12, I prepared some useful routines for conversion and geographic coordinate calculations ; shame that they were lost two years ago with the breakup of my notebook

Now I just have to look for (and hope to find) some paper copies of those programs

thanks in advance to anyone will respond because interested in this topic ; my personal e-mail address is cceng@engineer.com

Claudio Cattaneo

7 REPLIES 7
LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ccattaneo)

Maybe this will help you: Astronomical Formulas.

It was written for Mathcad 2001, so it should open in Mathcad 15 (which you should have, if you have a full license of Prime 3.1).

Success!

Luc

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:ccattaneo)

Note that, while you can do:

in Prime, to actually work with the ' and " symbols is quite cumbersome.

In Mathcad you can do similar, with comparable difficulty of entering the symbols:

Success!
Luc

your solution is right if you consider a value ( for example ) 22° 21' 30" like an angular value .

I want treat instead as coordinate East ( Longitude ) and North ( Latitude ) < for North emisphere >

read this article Units of Longitude and Latitude - Basic Coordinates and Seasons - NAAP

Claudio Cattaneo wrote:

your solution is right if you consider a value ( for example ) 22° 21' 30" like an angular value .

I want treat instead as coordinate East ( Longitude ) and North ( Latitude ) < for North emisphere >

read this article Units of Longitude and Latitude - Basic Coordinates and Seasons - NAAP

I don't understand your answer. You asked that you did not find ' and " and Luc showed you a way to implement them (as they are not yet implemented in Prime).

And Longitude and Latitude ARE angular values, what else? And 22°21'30" = 22,3583333°, no matter if North, South, East or West!

Here are a few examples of how you could use Lucs suggestion or the built-in DMS function.

You may even write your own conversion routine, maybe using the data format you would have to provide for the built.in hhmmss function.

You will have to decide which data format for your coordinates you would like to use for your further calculations and then write the appropriate conversion and other functions you need.

One Web-Mathcad-Sheet on my server with deg, min and sec

http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/MCS/Worksheets/Earth-D-L.xmcd

Or as a picture

It is a solution of the problem

More http://twt.mpei.ac.ru/ochkov/SPB-Moscow-Train.pdf

Prime 3.0 has a DMS unit:

Fred Kohlhepp wrote:

Prime 3.0 has a DMS unit:

Yes, and it can also be used the other way round, either in postfix notation or in usual function notation.

See my examples above from

Lets see if Claudio is still interested.

Top Tags