cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Help setting up a heat transfer equation

ecihan
3-Visitor

Help setting up a heat transfer equation

Hi,

Please see attached Mathcad Prime 3.1 worksheet and advise if I am setting up the definitions and equation up properly.  The correct answer should be around 307, but I'm pretty sure I need to set up the equation a different way.

Should I be setting the equation equal to Ts?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:ecihan)

It appears you typed the constraint equation outside of the solve block and then moved it into the solve block.  When you do that, Prime fails to recognize that the equation is part of the solve block.  Instead, Prime treats it as two unrelated math areas that happen to overlap each other.

To correct this:

- Move the solve block away from your constraint equation (guess value & "find" equation should move with solve block).

- Cut the constraint equation.

- Paste it into the solve block.

Prime then calculates a value of 307.845.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal

It appears you typed the constraint equation outside of the solve block and then moved it into the solve block.  When you do that, Prime fails to recognize that the equation is part of the solve block.  Instead, Prime treats it as two unrelated math areas that happen to overlap each other.

To correct this:

- Move the solve block away from your constraint equation (guess value & "find" equation should move with solve block).

- Cut the constraint equation.

- Paste it into the solve block.

Prime then calculates a value of 307.845.

ecihan
3-Visitor
(To:MJG)

This works.

Thank you very much.

1. It will be good to use units of temperature, length etc in your calculation!

2. Better use root not Given/Fimd

Are you sure the units for thermal conductivity are correct?

This is what I have:

Capture.PNG

Erman Cihan написал(а):

Are you sure the units for thermal conductivity are correct?

The unit of thermal conductivity is W*m^2/(m * K) or W*m/K but this simplification is not quit correct for the physic! 

-MFra-
21-Topaz II

HT solver.jpg

F.M. написал(а):

HT solver.jpg

SB.png

On some physics textbooks a distinction is made between the law of Stefan-Boltzmann (e=σT^4), and the constant σ, called Kurlbaum constant.

ecihan
3-Visitor

Attached is my updated worksheet where I have used both the root and given/find applications.  I noticed that the variable, L=0.003 m, not 0.0003 m, therefore the answer of Ts changes (extra zero, sorry!).

The given/find solver gives Ts= 306.627 Kelvin.

The root solver gives Ts= 308.852 Kelvin.

The application of this problem is to find the surface temperature of the human skin (Ts), due to the internal temperature (Ti=308 Kelvin).  Therefore, the heat loss due to conduction of the skin, convection to the outside air (air temperature is 297 Kelvin), and emissivity of thermal radiation, Ti has to be greater than Ts.  I have go to with the answer of Ts= 306.627 Kelvin.

Thank you for all the help.

Erman Cihan написал(а):

The given/find solver gives Ts= 306.627 Kelvin.

The root solver gives Ts= 308.852 Kelvin.

Sorry - it was my error

HT.png

Top Tags