cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Windchill 11.0

nrensing
5-Regular Member

Windchill 11.0

I was going to post this in the other discussion, but it was getting pretty long and convoluted. I have two questions about the new Windchill installation:

(1) Some of the error messages seem to be missing. I'm getting plenty of errors (mostly my fault, of course) but when I go to the event manager, the message field is blank. Cryptic as they are, they can be useful. Is this a "yet to come" feature?

(2) Do/will FIRST teams have access to the Design Exploration (DEX) functionality? I've been hoping that the reason we couldn't have it is that our Windchill was old...

Thanks,

Noa

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
smorris
5-Regular Member
(To:nrensing)

Noa, I believe the latest version of Creo 3.0 for schools, which is M110+, does not include all the "other" CAD solutions anymore. In my latest installation, I do not see Creo Direct or any of the other options that were typically installed with the schools edition. My guess is that PTC simplified the schools license to only include Creo Parametric, which makes sense.

Design Exploration would be cool, but it definitely requires some expertise to understand and manage. Unless you have someone dedicated to learning it and managing the design alternatives, I would not introduce it in the build season.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
smorris
5-Regular Member

Noa, I believe the latest version of Creo 3.0 for schools, which is M110+, does not include all the "other" CAD solutions anymore. In my latest installation, I do not see Creo Direct or any of the other options that were typically installed with the schools edition. My guess is that PTC simplified the schools license to only include Creo Parametric, which makes sense.

Design Exploration would be cool, but it definitely requires some expertise to understand and manage. Unless you have someone dedicated to learning it and managing the design alternatives, I would not introduce it in the build season.

nrensing
5-Regular Member
(To:smorris)

We don't use Direct but a few of us are running M070 with the premium license, in order to do cabling and attempt motion analysis. Does this mean we should not upgrade these installations to M110?

As for DEX, if it were available we'd probably give it a try, maybe over the summer. Complicated as it would be, the contortions we're going through to try different designs might well be worse.

smorris
5-Regular Member

If you already have an advanced license, then it does not matter. You have access to much more than most students. PTC does not share this license very often because it is too challenging for the students to get up to speed and productive with auxiliary CAD applications like cable routing, nc programming, etc. Personally, I would terrified to allow my students to work with Design Exploration without a comprehensive understanding of Creo Parametric. It would be too easy to get stuck in broken configurations as the assembly is dynamically changing on a daily basis with multiple contributors.

Top Tags