cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

===> My Mathcad 14 does not run anymore! <===

jvoûte
1-Newbie

===> My Mathcad 14 does not run anymore! <===

I used the 30-days free trial of MC15. During the MC15 installation I noticed that my existing MC14 was removed by the installer (why does PTC do that???). When the 30 days were over, MC15 showed me a notice to that effect. So I reinstalled my MC14 again to continue my work, but now my MC14 shows me that exact same notice and refuses to run. I uninstalled MC14 and MC15 completely and installed MC14 again, but that didn't help!...

What must I do to get my MC14 running again?

++Lodie.

P.S. I work under Windows 7.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Yes MC14 and MC15 cannot coexist and so 14 is uninstalled during installation of 15 and as the 14 license is not valid for 15, its replaced by that trial license which is valid for 30 days only.

When you reinstalled MC14, how did you get your license? The license file usually is generated/sent during installation. If you have a single user license you usually have to provide the product code you got when buying MC and PTC checks if this code is still valid (the number of possible installations is limited) and then sends you a license file which is bound to your hardware.

In your case during re-installation of MC14 you should tell the installer that you already have a license and then point the license manager to a backup of the license file you got during the very first installation of MC14 (NOT to the license file you got when you installed the MC15 trial).

In case you did not make a backup of that license file and the number of allowed installations for your product code are already exceeded, you have to contact PTC support.

Its really bad and inexcusable that the trial version dos not make a backup of the old installation and offers no way back after the end of the trial period.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Yes MC14 and MC15 cannot coexist and so 14 is uninstalled during installation of 15 and as the 14 license is not valid for 15, its replaced by that trial license which is valid for 30 days only.

When you reinstalled MC14, how did you get your license? The license file usually is generated/sent during installation. If you have a single user license you usually have to provide the product code you got when buying MC and PTC checks if this code is still valid (the number of possible installations is limited) and then sends you a license file which is bound to your hardware.

In your case during re-installation of MC14 you should tell the installer that you already have a license and then point the license manager to a backup of the license file you got during the very first installation of MC14 (NOT to the license file you got when you installed the MC15 trial).

In case you did not make a backup of that license file and the number of allowed installations for your product code are already exceeded, you have to contact PTC support.

Its really bad and inexcusable that the trial version dos not make a backup of the old installation and offers no way back after the end of the trial period.

Thanks a lot, Werner. Not just for your excelent explanation of my problem but also for providing me with the solution.

When I reinstalled MC14 I did point it to my license file but that didn't work.

This time I started my 14 and when the expiration message appeared it also invited me to license it and via this route it did work.

Thanks again!

++Lodie.

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:jvoûte)

Completely unrelated to OP's question, but when viewing this page do other's see the "PTC Community" header, menus, etc. at the bottom of the page instead of the top?

Lodie, I agree with Werner's comments.

Werner_E
24-Ruby V
(To:MJG)

> when viewing this page do other's see the "PTC Community" header, menus, etc. at the bottom of the page instead of the top?

Yes, I experience the same strange effect?! Maybe it has something to do with the "===>" in the subject??

MJG
18-Opal
18-Opal
(To:Werner_E)

Maybe it has something to do with the "===>" in the subject??

I was thinking the same thing.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II
(To:MJG)

Toby Metcalf‌ Please check this page.

Very interesting Vlad - not sure why this is happening - not seeing this error on other pages.

Thank you for letting me know - I will look throughout the community.

Best,

Toby

Toby,

Maybe it's a Jive bug?

LucMeekes
23-Emerald III
(To:VladimirN)

Oh no, not another Jive bug...

Top Tags