cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Make 3D model parametric by using Drawing

rpanwal
1-Newbie

Make 3D model parametric by using Drawing

I would like to know, Is it possible to make 3D model parametric by using drawing . For example, I have created box having 50 X 50 X 50 mm ( L B H) respectively and have drawing for it as below mentioned. So every time instead of changing CAD model parameter , I will change directly value on drawing table which will changes drawing and model accordingly.

Please let me know if someone have any idea about this. Thanks in advance.

model.PNG

3 REPLIES 3
dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:rpanwal)

Look for 'switch dimensions' to see the parameter names that control the dimensions.

Then, on the drawing, create a note using the parameter name prefixed with "&" as in &d1. If you edit the value of the note parameter then that will change the model. You can, if you like, use that same note inside a table cell.

mender
6-Contributor
(To:dschenken)

Just as he said, with one elaboration -- you had said 'parameter', but it isn't clear if the value you want to change is a parameter or a dimension value.  Either can be modified from the drawing, the mechanism noted above is for dimensions.  For parameters (say, if you have params BOX_LEN, BOX_WIDTH, BOX_HEIGHT in the solid, and relations 'd1 = BOX_LEN' etc., then you do the same thing but with &BOX_LEN in place of &d1. 

dschenken
21-Topaz I
(To:mender)

I prefer the more general definition of parametric where the dimensions are parameters, the key part of Parametric Tech. They can also have their names changed to be more readable, just like unrelated parameters.

Top Tags