cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Help us improve the PTC Community by taking this short Community Survey! X

How to do exception handling in CE/D Lisp?

rkinder
1-Newbie

How to do exception handling in CE/D Lisp?

As part of my Creo Elements/Direct customization, I am trying to do some basic exception handling in Lisp. For Common Lisp, the internet seems to recommend using the handler-case macro. When I run

(do-symbols (s (find-package "lisp"))

(display s))

in the Creo input line, handler-case is indeed listed. But when I try to run code that uses it I always get "LISP error: The function HANDLER-CASE is undefined." Am I missing something or is there some other method of doing exception handling that is preferred?

If you'd like a toy example to test with, here's a divider that instead of throwing an arith-error (e.g. on divide-by-zero), returns nil instead. Putting this into the input line defines the function fine, but calling it results in the "function undefined" error. I tried replacing handler-case with lisp::handler-case and a few others with no luck.

(defun my-safe-divider (a b)

(handler-case (/ a b)

(arith-error nil)))

Any help appreciated,

Rich Kinder

2 REPLIES 2

Use unwind-protect

See Common Lisp manual, e.g.

7.11. Dynamic Non-Local Exits

I tried typing this into the input line but I still get a "LISP Error: Zero Divisor" popup, which is what I'm trying to suppress.

(progn

(defun my-safe-divider (a b)

(unwind-protect (/ a b)))

(display (my-safe-divider 1 0)))

If I call my-safe-divider with, say, 6 and 2 instead of 1 and 0 it displays 3 as expected.

Top Tags