cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Crushing a cylinder using creo dynamic simulation

roliver-2
1-Newbie

Crushing a cylinder using creo dynamic simulation

Good morning all,

I'm looking for some advice regarding running a dynamic simulation to crush a tube longitudinally. I have a couple of tubes which I'd like to crush so I can compare the effects of changing the wall thickness.

My plan is to model a couple of blocks, one acting as the ground with the tube lying on top and the other applying a load to the tube to squash it.

My issue is that I have no idea how to use the dynamic simulation in Creo! I've used Ansys in a previous role and was pretty handy with LSDyna and explicit dynamics, however, Creo has me completely stumped as to how to set this up and get some results!

Does anybody have any advice on the method for creating such a study?

Any advice greatly received,

Thanks,

Richard

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

I'm sorry but this kind of analysis are not possible with Simulate.

The reason is that you are looking for a dynamic analysis with large deformation (and up to here also in simulate these is no problem, but you have to imppose elasto-plastic material...) but in addition you have the extreme rapidity of the event.

Upon this last argument SImulate can't do nothing; it can analyze only "slow" phenomena. The right program, in my experience, il LSDyna.

If you are not interested in the investigation of the dynamic event, but only in the study of a imposed deformation (large deformation), in my opinion this is possible in Simulate in a Static Analysis with Large deformation + Elasto-plastic material.

I attach some pdf material that I founded in web.

Bye

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Hello Richard,

MECHANICA (Creo Simulate) is not possible.

regards

paul

Hi,

I'm sorry but this kind of analysis are not possible with Simulate.

The reason is that you are looking for a dynamic analysis with large deformation (and up to here also in simulate these is no problem, but you have to imppose elasto-plastic material...) but in addition you have the extreme rapidity of the event.

Upon this last argument SImulate can't do nothing; it can analyze only "slow" phenomena. The right program, in my experience, il LSDyna.

If you are not interested in the investigation of the dynamic event, but only in the study of a imposed deformation (large deformation), in my opinion this is possible in Simulate in a Static Analysis with Large deformation + Elasto-plastic material.

I attach some pdf material that I founded in web.

Bye

Thanks for the response Giulio,

I'll see whether I can get my friend to run this through LS Dyna (I no longer have access). I'm really interested in comparing the crush strengths of two cylinders with different wall thickness so a static sim will do although I haven't managed to set this up properly yet (I'm new to Creo and it's a bit of a steep learning curve from Ansys!)

Thanks for the answer, I appreciate you taking the time.

Kind regards,

Richard

If dynamic/inertial forces are small, i.e. the deformation happens slowly, then you can analyze it using Creo Simulate. If it is an impact, where you have significant inertial / mass forces, as well as nonlinear phenomenae (large deformations, plasticity) then you can not simulate it in Creo, you will need an explicit solver such as LS Dyna.

Top Tags