cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Dell Precision 7710: switchable graphics

Dmi3U
15-Moonstone

Dell Precision 7710: switchable graphics

Hi Pros!

We have standardized on Dell Precision 7710 laptops for now. It is customized to have NVIDIA  Quadro M5000M card.

When IT started building these with "our" build, my users have noticed that graphics performance was bad. So we have discovered that by default it is running on-board Intel graphics. To fix that, we have changed Power Management mode to "Prefer Maximum performance" and OpenGL rendering GPU to Quadro M5000M in NVIDIA Control Panel > Manage 3D Settings > Global Settings. It looked like it made the difference and it started using NVIDIA instead of intel graphics. But than I looked at some forums - Dell and Nvidia - and found a couple of discussions about BIOS > Video > Switchable Graphics to disable switchable graphics and enable "graphics Special Mode". That way you are forcing you computer to use only NVIDIA and graphics management is not funneled through Intel.

Here is a question: Do you think there is a difference in performance in doing it one way other than another? Let me know your thoughts: pros and cons...

Appreciated!

Dmitry

0 REPLIES 0
Top Tags