cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Search path file

gkling
1-Newbie

Search path file

Is there a specific context of the search path file?  Or do the lines of text simply call out the path? For instance:

G:\CAD_Files\CREO\parts

G:\CAD_Files\CREO\assemblies

G:\CAD_Files\CREO\drawings

And does the file have to be a ***.pro?

2 REPLIES 2
BenLoosli
23-Emerald II
(To:gkling)

No specific context, but the order can be important.

The first folder a match is found in, is the one that is pulled into the assembly.

Foe engineering, I used to put WIP folders at top.

For manufacturing, Released folders were on top.

I don't think there is a name requirement since you are specifying the file name in your config.pro setting.

KenFarley
21-Topaz I
(To:gkling)

Two things we've adopted to make things easier:

(1) Put the full network path name on the paths, something like "\\server-name\CAD_Files..." rather than using mapped drives, if you're doing so. We do this to avoid any troubles if you want to give your search file to a new person and she doesn't have things mapped to the same letters as you.

(2) I've learned the hard way to use quotes around all my directory specifications. Like "\\server\dir1\dir2\Long Name of Directory". The search list facility does not check to see if a specified path directory is valid. If it truncates the path specification because there are spaces in the name, it will just use that and you'll be wondering why it doesn't find your files.

I think the ".pro" suffix is just a legacy thing. It does make it easier to find in a search, since it's kind of unique.

Top Tags