cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Methods to create a wire loop?

BillF
13-Aquamarine

Methods to create a wire loop?

Schematics works to simplify drawing a loop in the wiring diagram.  If you draw a loop in the path, it will eliminate it at the crossing point.

Sometimes a wire is wanted that has both ends at the same termination.

Schematics will let you come close to closing it but will not accept the second end to be at the same termination.

In this example, there is no method that I have found to extend the open end of W002 to port A.

I have found a kind of workaround by starting a second wire at Port A and connecting it to the unterminated end of W002.

This fills in the To/From chart correctly for the wire and this design has not ben exported to be routed yet, so I don't know if there are any issues there.

However, once the loop has been closed, Schematics will not allow the wire to be moved in the design and gives the messages - >>> assert_fail <<<< - Corrupt fibre

I have warned my users that they need to be sure that they have the loop positioned EXACTLY as desired before drawing the second section to close it.

Are there any techniques out there to do this without this limitation?

3 REPLIES 3
Kevin
10-Marble
(To:BillF)

Try routing from the port and placing a point for the wire, RMB and terminate the wire, then start another wire from the same port and select the end of the first wire to connect to. This should create one wire at least it does in Creo 3.

BillF
13-Aquamarine
(To:Kevin)

I don't see any difference from what I did?  Am I missing something?

It really doesn't affect anything for this issue but we are running Schematics 2.  We are skipping 3 since there is no path for using it with Windchill and Windows 10.  As soon as I get some free time, I will test out Schematics 4 on a test server for Windchill and with both Windows 7 and 10.

Kevin
10-Marble
(To:BillF)

No, I think missed the sentence describing how you created the loop. The difference I'm noticing is I can move the wire points and segments to new locations but I can't move the shape it's connected to unless I select the shape and wire at the same time.

Top Tags