cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Boundary Blend

DieselPig
1-Newbie

Boundary Blend

Afternoon All

Attached is another impeller I'm working on. Went well until the final merge where the walls of the boundary blend bulge out and it fails on single edges. I've fiddled with the BB settings but no luck, any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Your problem is with your short curves in your second direction. They don't line up well.  I eliminated them from the blend and used control points to make the surface.  I trimmed the bottoms of the 3 veins away with a revolved cut. and then merged the boundary blend with your revolved / removed surface.  Note this is still not optimal as your vein surfaces are not continuous with that blended part.  There are things now that really mess with making the rounds you may want.  I will see if I can fix it how you want.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Phil,

I think the issue is the amount of curvature incorporated into the problem surface.  I would recommend separating this into multiple surfaces then merging them together instead of trying to create this as a single entity.  I'd break this down into as many as 9 separate boundary blends in order to maintain control over the surface shape in each area

My 2 cents anyhow 🙂

Mike

Hi Mike

Odd that it only occurs in one area!

Your problem is with your short curves in your second direction. They don't line up well.  I eliminated them from the blend and used control points to make the surface.  I trimmed the bottoms of the 3 veins away with a revolved cut. and then merged the boundary blend with your revolved / removed surface.  Note this is still not optimal as your vein surfaces are not continuous with that blended part.  There are things now that really mess with making the rounds you may want.  I will see if I can fix it how you want.

There are many ways to do this.  Your biggest problem is making sure you are using the geometry you have already created.  Your boundary blend was like an add on and things were not lined up.  Here is one I played with.  I used draft and a surf to surf radius to approximate what I think you are trying to create.  I would need more information from you on what is important and what are you trying to achieve before I could offer any other information.  Attached is this last file I created.imp3.jpg

Hi Ron

Many thanks for your help, I've played with the model some more and managed to clear the errors. But now it won't solidify!

Attached is the final shape the impeller should be.

Your problem is coming from too many in accuracies you have built into your controlling geometry.   You really need to step back and rework all of your control curves.  Edges need to be tangent and items need to be joined together.  imp5.jpg

imp4.jpg

Hi Ron

Yes, I have gone back to the sketches and reworked them to remove some oddities and it solidifies nicely!

Morning All

Thought I had fixed this! For some reason one of the impeller vanes will not solidify, look at cross section X.

Any pointers greatly appreciated.

Top Tags