9 Replies Latest reply: Jul 4, 2007 2:43 AM by ptc-1206808 RSS

Drawings:  Dimensioning a Chamfer

ptc-1187539 Copper
      Okay, this will be simple for someone, but I need the help. I've got a model with several chamfers. I'm doing the print now, and I had Pro/E put in the dimensions for me. For one chamfer, it did the regular chamfer dimension (0.053 and 45 degrees). The other chamfers all have dimensions for the angle and a seperate dimension for the length of the offset. How do I dimension a chamfer manually to have it put in the x" and 45 degrees as one entry?
        • Dimensioning a Chamfer
          jaypogi Bronze
          Hi david, You can create a note and use the feature id of your chamfer dimension and the angle dimension.
            • Re: Drawings:  Dimensioning a Chamfer
              ptc-1275435 Bronze
              hi david, If there is single chamfer then no problems for dimensioning.And if there is more chamfers having same dimension then u can make a note and mension in that "all unspecified chamfers having A x °. And if dimensions are differnt for all chamfers then make a note having arrowhead for each chamfer,select suface of chamfer for location of arrowhead.U also check the important of chamfer.If it is only for removing sharp edges then no problem.But if it having important like mating somewhere then give proper dimension. Regards, shailesh D. shrivastava.
                • Re: Drawings:  Dimensioning a Chamfer
                  ptc-1187539 Copper
                  Thanks for the responses! Okay, here's what I'm asking. HOW do I get PRO/E to show the dimension on the drawing as a chamfer i.e. a length and angle on one dimension note? When I used PRO/E to automatically put the dimensions in, it did that on 2 chamfers and then put two different dimensions on the other two. For the life of me, I can't find a way to manually put the chamfer dimensions in like the automatic function did (noting one angle and one length on one dimension note). Any ideas how to do that?
                    • Drawings: Dimensioning a Chamfer
                      jaypogi Bronze
                      Hi David, As i've said, you can create a note and use the dimension id of chamfer's lenght ang angle. 1. In your model show the chamfer's dimension 2. go to Info>Switch Dimensions in order to get the dimension id 3. for example the lenght is d1 and the angle is d2 4. In your drawing, create a note and enter &d1 X &d2 to show the lenght and angle dimensions
                        • RE: Drawings: Dimensioning a Chamfer
                          ptc-1187539 Copper
                          Yeah, I see what you're saying, but I'd rather use the same kind of dimension that the auto dimension is doing. Is there any way to utilize that type of dimensioning manually?
                              jaypogi Bronze
                              Hi David, Are you trying to show chamfer's lenght and angle dimensions using automatic dimensioning fucntion in a form of a note?
                                • RE: Drawings: Dimensioning a Chamfer
                                  ptc-1187539 Copper
                                  I used the automatic routine, and it dimensioned all of my chamfers but one with a single dimension entry showing length and angle (I like that!). The other chamfer it dimensioned with 2 different dimension entries. I'd like to erase two dimension entries and replace them with a dimension entry like the one the automatic dimensioning tool did. That's what I don't know how to do.
                                      ptc-1615154 Copper
                                      I'm not sure if this what you mean. 2-5x45°. 2- - no. of chamfer(manually) 5 - length of chamfer (dimension or @d) x45° - desired(manually) you can do that by adding it manually before and after the specified dimension-(Properties)
                                          ptc-1206808 Copper
                                          Hi David When applyling chamfer to an edge proe gives 4 options. i.e. D x D D1 x D2 Angle x D 45° x D Since you want 45° x D to appear in the drawing then use the last option 45° x D. If you want enter manually then double click on the dim and in dim properties menu box, go to dimension Text tab and click it. In dimension Text window enter 45° X before @D Denzil I think this solve your problem