4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 22, 2010 10:14 PM by ValeryOchkov RSS

This Expression Redefines a Previously Defined Variable

NeatMachine Copper

Hello,

I am working in MathCad 11.  I define a variable "x:=10".  Further down the worksheet, I wish to change this variable to "x:=20" for example.  When I do so, MathCad underlines the variable with a green zigzag line which tell me that "This Expression Redefines a Previously Defined Variable."  The subsequent calculation use the later value, but the page has these annoying green zigzag lines.

Is there a way to eliminate these zigzag lines?

Thanks.

• Re: This Expression Redefines a Previously Defined Variable
          StuartBruff Platinum

David Guza wrote:

Hello,

I am working in MathCad 11.  I define a variable "x:=10".  Further down the worksheet, I wish to change this variable to "x:=20" for example.  When I do so, MathCad underlines the variable with a green zigzag line which tell me that "This Expression Redefines a Previously Defined Variable."  The subsequent calculation use the later value, but the page has these annoying green zigzag lines.

Is there a way to eliminate these zigzag lines?

Thanks.

Yes.   Menu Tools/Preferences.  Select the 'Warnings' tab, then unselect User Defined - Scalar Variables - plus any other options you want.

An important point to note about Mathcad is that, due to the way it works, each definition creates a new variable of the same name.  If you, say define, x:=1 at the top of the page and x:=2 in the middle, then you can add expressions that make use of the original definition in top half of the page at any subsequent time and they will pick up the x=1 value.   The warning feature is there as an aid.

Stuart

• Re: This Expression Redefines a Previously Defined Variable
            MikeArmstrong Diamond

On another note, if the worksheet is to be checked by a colleague or lecturer, defining a variable several times within a worksheet makes it very difficult to follow and trace your errors.

Mathcad has many ways to define varibles usign a slight variation, which enables users to define varibles as below to show a few.

Clipboard01.jpg

Mike

• Re: One green zigzag
              ValeryOchkov PTC Community Champion

There is very interesting exampte in Rusian Word:

RusWord.jpg

Казнить нельзя, помиловать! - Can not be put to death, have mercy! (Word advises me!)

Казнить, нельзя помиловать! - Executed, can not be pardoned!

Word is more liberal than...