cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Where to post bug reports (MC 15)?

MoeSzyslak
4-Participant

Where to post bug reports (MC 15)?

Hi, All --

Just downloaded Prime (despise it) and noted that one of the plotting bugs that has been haunting me since at least MC 12 (if not longer) may have been fixed -- but you can't really tell for sure.

In the "I hate Prime" thread, I saw Mona mention that there will be a maintenance release for MC 15 this year and that we should report bugs somewhere. However, my account appears to have insufficient priviledges for bug reporting (PTC only wants to know about bugs from maintenance users?). I (and many others) have posted this many, many times before (with extensive examples), yet the bug has been lingering for many years:

If you reverse the y-axis on a 2D plot, the data points on your traces disappear -- only lines remain.

In my field, we deal extensively with subsurface data, typically collected at discrete depths. By convention, this is always (always) plotted with depth below ground surface on the y-axis, increasing downward.

I say that this might be fixed in Prime, but it is hard to know for sure because it seems impossible to order the y-axis as positive downward. In general, Prime is essentially unusable, so it doesn't much matter. Sure would like to see this problem fixed in the MC 15 M010 release....

Where can a guy without a maintenance contract post bug reports?

Matt

4 REPLIES 4

Matt,

You should not be seeing instability in Mathcad Prime 1.0. If you are on Win XP, make sure you test and install the Microsoft Hotfix. You can read about what to do in Read_This_First in the Doc folder under Mathcad Prime 1.0 installation folder, or by clicking on Migration Guide button in the Getting Started tab.

Mathcad 15 comes with one year of maintenance, so you should be able to log bugs with tehnical support. Perhaps you need to enter your SON, sales order number, which should be on the license agreement you received from PTC.

I don't recall seeing the bug listed previously, but just confirmed it in Mathcad 15.

Mona

Matt,

I just checked the bug database, and your bug has been logged with high priority. It will be prioritized with other bugs for each upgrade.

You are correct, that you cannot reverse the axis direction in Mathcad Prime 1.0. That's on the list to implement.

Mona

MoeSzyslak
4-Participant
(To:mzeftel)

Mona --

Thanks for the reply. A quick search reveals this thread on the plot bug: http://collab.mathsoft.com/read?129864,99e#129864. I recall it being discussed several other times, as well.

As for Prime, I am seeing no instability on my 64-bit Windows 7 (fully updated) machine. There were some screwy things with install, however -- specifically, no program icons are available (I must double-click the executable from the Program Files folder) and the inability to uninstall. By "unusable" I was referring more to the lack of functionality. While the interface is visually compelling, I can't really do anything in Prime due to the lack of symbolics and plotting inflexibility (and whatever else I haven't discovered yet). In addition, the reason that I downloaded the Prime trial is that I received an email from our IT department asking if I would like them to purchase and deploy the upgrade across campus for the fall semester -- right now, I see no compelling reason to recommend this, and thus, no compelling reason to spend much time learning how to use Prime.

As for maintenance access, I am on a very large university campus and use their license as opposed to a single-user license. I suspect that because I do not administer the license, I cannot have maintenance access -- correct?

Thanks again.

Matt

Moe,

We are currently adding Excel Component, 3D plots, 64-bit support, and Symbolics to Prime 2.0. We are prioritizing other features.

By plot inflexibility do you mean the plot issue above, or are there other plot issues that you would like to see in Prime 2.0?

I don't know how maintenance works for the academic version, if that's what you are using. But your defect has been logged.

Mona

Top Tags