cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

3D graphs

RMWalls
1-Newbie

3D graphs

I have just tried to get a surface plot for a small matrix in Mathcad 15. It will only show me it as a contour map or a vector field. I think this is the first time I;ve done this since upgrading from 14. So I loaded a file which I had created in 14 and had the same response. Is this a bug or a known problem ? Any advice please.

7 REPLIES 7
wayne
3-Visitor
(To:RMWalls)

Could you post the sheet?

RMWalls
1-Newbie
(To:wayne)

Thanks in advance. The sheet is attached, having cleared out some extraneous calcs. The problem graph is at the end.

wayne
3-Visitor

Robin,

I did not have any trouble, except because of the units, scaled the graph.

If you plot one 2D matrix, the Mathcad plots element i,j against x=i and y=j. So you can't add your own scale.

To plot correctly, you need to make a nested matrix of X, Y and Z values. There is an one to one correspondence,

Xi,j andYi,j and Zi,j. So you just need to expand the x and y matrices.

See attached.

VladimirN
24-Ruby II

If you want to create a 3D surface, then you need to use "SurfacePlot" (or hotkey "Ctrl +2") from the toolbar "Graph".

3D_Plot.jpg

P.S. You used "Contour Plot" in your Mathcad worksheet.

VladimirN. wrote:

If you want to create a 3D surface, then you need to use "SurfacePlot" (or hotkey "Ctrl +2") from the toolbar "Graph".

3D_Plot.jpg

P.S. You used "Contour Plot" in your Mathcad worksheet.

We can transform an exited Contour Plot into Surface plot! By hepl the format gialog box!

Thank you all for the comments, particularly how to scale the axes. The solution to getting a surface plot to appear I found from a previous thread which appeared in the list of associated items. It seems I have to turn off the border because I have an ATI graphics card. Obviously this is a new bug for 15 because I did not have the problem in 14. I am surprised it has not been fixed.

PhilipOakley
5-Regular Member

The graphics card issue is a Windows compatibility issue : see blank 3d plot

Top Tags