cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Importing dxf/iges files

Aaronm87
12-Amethyst

Importing dxf/iges files

I am getting very frustrated with trying to do this. I am trying to import a dxf file and when it loads I cannot interact with it at all. Our company provides CAD drawings for our logo and I cannot seem to figure out how to convert a iges/dxf to a .sym file. Does anyone have an ideas how to do this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi Aaron...

What version of Pro/E or Creo Elements are you working in?

If you perform an import in Creo Elements Pro (Wildfire 5), you can select the option shown below to Import Blocks as Symbols. This will help.

If you're in a different version of Creo or Wildfire, let me know and I'll give you specific instructions. For Creo Elements Pro (WF5), import the file as a DXF. Switch to the Sketch tab to interact with the geometry lines. Switch to the Table or Annotate tabs to interact with the title block or dimensions.

To create a symbol, use the following slides. Click each slide for a larger view.

Good luck!!

-Brian

Slide1.PNG

Slide2.PNG

Slide3.PNG

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Hi Aaron...

What version of Pro/E or Creo Elements are you working in?

If you perform an import in Creo Elements Pro (Wildfire 5), you can select the option shown below to Import Blocks as Symbols. This will help.

If you're in a different version of Creo or Wildfire, let me know and I'll give you specific instructions. For Creo Elements Pro (WF5), import the file as a DXF. Switch to the Sketch tab to interact with the geometry lines. Switch to the Table or Annotate tabs to interact with the title block or dimensions.

To create a symbol, use the following slides. Click each slide for a larger view.

Good luck!!

-Brian

Slide1.PNG

Slide2.PNG

Slide3.PNG

Ahh! Sorry... also meant to mention that in older versions of Pro/E, sometimes those DXF files can come in as one large group. You'll need to go to Edit>Group and select EXPLODE to turn the imported geometry into selectable geometry. This is only in the older Wildfire software (2, 3, and maybe 4).

Thanks again...

-Brian

Top Tags