cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Converting physical component models to Mathcad functions

ptc-1145763
1-Newbie

Converting physical component models to Mathcad functions

We've been exploring a route to convert physical component models like this...

DCMotorBacklash.png

to Mathcad functions like this...

Screengrab3.png

The process works through code generation of the physical component models, and compilation into Mathcad functions. Users create physical component models with electrical, magnentic, mechanical, mutlibody and hydraulic blocks.

Is this method of producing complex Mathcad models appealing? What kind of use cases can you think of?

Samir

3 REPLIES 3

Samir

Presumably these are Maplesim models you are turning into Mathcad functions. I guess they might be of some use to those who only have Mathcad available. My only reservation is that, in my experience, when one tries to use fairly complicated components (as opposed to elementary components) obtained commercially, off-the-shelf, they never seem to have the exact functionality one wants. There is always some tweaking needed! Presumably your functions would be dll-based, so that the Mathcad users wouldn't be able to produce any required modifications themselves.

Alan

Alan,

Yes, these are MapleSim models (or more generally, any Modelica program) we're turning into Mathcad functions. We've translated models as simple as RLC circuits to models as complex as electromagnetic solenoids and vehicle dynamic simulations from MapleSim to Mathcad.

The code is numerically efficient, and the solvers can handle differential algebraic equations. The functions are implemented as DLLs, so end-users need MapleSim for modifications.

The code generation from MapleSim is point-and-click, but the compilation into DLLs requires copying/pasting into a Visual Studio project and some manual (but well-understood) tweaking.

It's an interesting method of working, and one that's new to Mathcad users. I wanted to establish the potential applications, and the use-cases once your functions are in Mathcad.

• Parameter sweeps and optimziation?
  • Documentation?
  • Distribution to a larger audience?

Samir

Has anything become of this? I'd love to see this type of functionality.

Jim

Top Tags